series 2a Land Rover Dormobile

Anything about Classic Land Rover Campers
yakcam

series 2a Land Rover Dormobile

Post by yakcam » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:51 pm

I'm thinking of fitting parabolic springs on my Dormobile.

At present the front springs are standard to the Station wagon but the rear springs look like a heavy duty replacement without the helper leaf fitted as original station wagon springs. These rear springs give a harsh ride and create a pitching movement on the front end.

Has any one changed the original leaf springs for parabolic springs and if so what make springs were used?

My current thinking is for a 2 leaf front parabolics and three leaf rear parabolics. I don't want to raise or lower the current ride height.

Would be be grateful for any advice please.

With kind regards

Chris
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Re: series 2a Land Rover Dormobile

Post by Jabbawocky » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:14 am

Hi Chris

I have Rocky Mountain Parabolics on my Dormobile. I started off with 2 leafs on the front and 4 leafs on the back. The front leafs were not quite strong enough and I broke a leaf in Morocco. So I added another leaf and it rides much better. I do have two jerry can, a spare wheel and a Turner winch on the front. I wouldn't worry about ride height, as soon as you load her for a decent trip, she will soon come down. You need the back end up a bit for sleeping correctly. I cannot recommend Rocky Mountain as the bushes are poor and as I said above, they break.

Give me a shout if you need the chat about this.

Mick
dpaz

Post by dpaz » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:28 pm

I put parabolics on the back of mine (posts about it somewhere here) mine when the back springs turned the other way. It raised it 10"! The old springs were bad. The first time went round a roundabout I thought it was turning over. It didn't. The tow hitch had to be extended down and it needed longer shocks. The ride is nice. I like them and they haven't settled more than a couple of inches.
AlexB

Post by AlexB » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:41 pm

rear paras on mine but reverted to standards on the front as 2 leaf paras were too weak.

I know Mick reckons his is 3 tonnes, but I had mine on the weighbridge and got it to 2 tonnes, so you can't scimp on quality though
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Post by Jabbawocky » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:47 pm

Re the 3 tonnes. It is only a guess. I have never had it on a weighbridge, but know they are about 2 tonne empty and we do carry quite a bit when setting off on a long trip.