Dormobile seat fixings for AKM 217K

Any other items for sale or wanted.
yakcam

Dormobile seat fixings for AKM 217K

Post by yakcam » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:32 pm

Looks like the seat box in my series 2A Dormobile has been changed at some time in the past. I'm trying to work out how the Dormatic seats should be secured to the seat box and what fittings should be on the seat box that are missing. Think the seat box is 2A and I have sourced hinged lids and hasps to make it complete.

My drivers seat has runners to enable the seat to be adjusted forwards/backwards.

I want to be able to add a gas bottle holder as per what Dormobile now list and have access to it by easily removing the drivers seat.

Please can any enthusiast help me with some photos showing what fittings there should be so I can make something up to make it all work as Dormobile intended? The passenger side seat is the two person type which rock and rolls/folds down flat.

Thanks and regards.

Chris
Troika

Re: Dormobile seat fixings for AKM 217K

Post by Troika » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:06 am

I will get the camera out this morning.
Troika

Post by Troika » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:35 pm

Right, lets see if this makes sense to you.

On the front face of the seat box there should be 4 knurled knobs, these engage with the tangs located on the lower front edge of the dormatic front double seats. The front double seats require slackening of two of the knobs to allow the seat to swivel backwards or horizontal. The swivel function also depends on the mounting rail fixed at the rear of the seat box and which is bolted through 2 holes in the indicated brackets underneath the seat. I have seen mounting rails with two holes, some with one, but can only say that the aftmost and higher hole is the one to use as the frame will foul the seat box when mounted on the lower holes.

Worth mentioning as well, that on my recently destroyed Dormobile, the front driver seat also had the tangs and knobs fitted, whilst a later model had the regular seat rail/runners, so it may be possible that some changes were made during production or PO's made changes. If not clear I will have more time tomorrow to get better pictures.
Attachments
Seatbox 2.JPG
Seatbox 2.JPG (166.1 KiB) Viewed 8886 times
Seatbox1.JPG
Seatbox1.JPG (164.02 KiB) Viewed 8886 times
seat tangs.JPG
seat tangs.JPG (113.58 KiB) Viewed 8886 times
Rail position.JPG
Rail position.JPG (158.35 KiB) Viewed 8886 times
mounting rail.JPG
mounting rail.JPG (142.6 KiB) Viewed 8886 times
Mounting hole.JPG
Mounting hole.JPG (180.05 KiB) Viewed 8886 times
yakcam

Post by yakcam » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:05 pm

Many thanks for your kind reply and detailed photographs.

I can understand how the two person seat now fixes with the mounting rail you show and the hole positions in the bracket on the seat itself, thanks.

As you suggest, it also looks to me that the drivers seat, that in my case has the runners to adjust the seat position forward/back, should also have some form of sub frame/bracket welded to the front and rear of each runner base with front tangs to be retained by two knurled nuts on the front of the seat box and some form of retaining bracket on the back of the seat box to stop the rear of the seat assembly lifting up under normal driving conditions. This would then enable the knurled nuts to be loosened/removed to release the front tangs and then pull the seat forward of the rear retaining brackets to remove the drivers seat completely to allow access to the gas bottle holder etc.

So yes please if you have access to a drivers seat I would appreciate some pictures of the fixings on the seat itself and the seat box.

Just to confirm about the number of knurled nut fittings on the front of the seat box.The double Dormatic seat uses three of the knurled nuts and therefore does the drivers seat only use the fourth one or is there a fifth one as well on the drivers door side of the seat box?

Many thanks again for your kind help - much appreciated.

With kind regards

Chris
AlexB

Post by AlexB » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:38 pm

passenger seat uses 4

drivers seat has either 2 or none, as early seats were not adjustable.

Hope this helps
Troika

Post by Troika » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:29 pm

As Alex says, 4 tangs on the front passenger, two for driver seat, but I think with age of your vehicle they would have modified the seat to stop it being tippable for safety reasons so yours may never have had the tanged driver seat.

You will see in the pics below one of the driver seat rails with tang which would allow the seat to tip backwards, the seat can still slide fore and aft, for changing the 6kg gas bottles the tilting option was very easy.
Attachments
Driver rail 2.JPG
Driver rail 2.JPG (140.9 KiB) Viewed 8859 times
Driver rail.JPG
Driver rail.JPG (134.62 KiB) Viewed 8859 times
4 tang.JPG
4 tang.JPG (185.8 KiB) Viewed 8859 times
yakcam

Post by yakcam » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:37 am

Many thanks for your kind replies Alex and Troika,

Dual Passenger seat sorted.

I don't think the Dormatic seats in my vehicle were necessarily those fitted to it when new in 1971. So I'm not sure which version the drivers seat might be! I think the drivers seat may have had the tanged runners missing and an alternative Land Rover sliding set of runners were bolted down to the seat box to permanently mount the drivers seat. The gas holder was also long gone!

Any way I'll have some brackets made up to provide tangs held by knurled nuts and brackets on the back of the set box to stop the back of the seat being able to lift up. The whole seat could then be easily removed to gain access to gas cylinders.

Thanks again for your help.

With kind regards

Chris