Fibreglassing ---- handy trick

Workshop and Technical tips & tricks.
Litelandy

Fibreglassing ---- handy trick

Post by Litelandy » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:07 am

Gday all,

I've just finished fibreglassing over the new steel braces and wooden fillers in my Dormy roof.
It was the first time I've ever tried fibreglassing and my first 2 attempts were a complete disaster! (I ended up scooping off the still wet matting and throwing it in the bin before it had a chance to set).

I wanted to get the matting to conform neatly the to tube and plates in a uniform manner wuuthout ballooning out. The roller i bought on ebay was pretty well useless and only succeeded in lifting the fibres and making an ungodly mess!

In the end it was household baking paper that saved the day!

I put down a layer of wet resin and laid the mat onto it, dabbing more resin into the mat as per general procedure. Once the mat was wet I laid a piece of baking paper over the wet mat, leaving plenty of overhang. The baking paper then allowed me to massage the mat into the tight corners and remove air bubbles without lifting the fibres and getting my hands sticky. As the resin cured the baking paper simply peeled off leaving the contured matting to cure fully.

Here are some pictures to show the procedure and the end result. Hopefully this handy little trick will be of use to someone.

Glen.
Attachments
IMG_20181111_151903.jpg
IMG_20181111_120653.jpg
IMG_20181106_204908.jpg
IMG_20181106_203627.jpg
20181111_165308.jpg
Viamphie
Info: Mad as a bag of frogs

Re: Fibreglassing ---- handy trick

Post by Viamphie » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:37 pm

Hey. Top job that. Well done. Any chance you could knock me up a fish pond :laugh:
I'm not really as bad as I make out. Despite what people say.