Rear Parabolic Springs and shocks

Workshop and Technical tips & tricks.
smokey2a

Rear Parabolic Springs and shocks

Post by smokey2a » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:06 pm

Hi, I'm back to building a S3 109 and turning it in to a Camper. At present it has a almost new set of Parabolics on the front and a flat pair of standard 6 pot rears. For the rear. can you recommend how many leaves bearing in mid it'll be loaded most of the time a which make along with the best shocks? Please

Many thanks
RobW

Re: Rear Parabolic Springs and shocks

Post by RobW » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:31 pm

I think mine has heavy duty Rocky Mountain on the back, can't remember how many leaves though. Brit-Part one-ton shocks though, seem as good as the Pro-comp that gave up early spring and not had any issues with them (so far).
RMS

Post by RMS » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:56 pm

Patrick's, Phillip's and one of my Project Carawagons are all on 4 leaf rear parabolics, and do sit a little high.

Steve's Carawagon is on 3 leaf parabolics (actually 4 leaf with one leaf removed) and is a little saggy at the back end!

The Carawagon I'm currently using is on standard leaf springs, but with extended shackles at the rear so it sits level, and though they are a little flat it has a really nice smooth ride.

So, if you're going for paras on the rear, experience shows that 4 leaf are a little high and 3 leaf are a little low, or you could go for extended shackles to lift your back end up a bit :shrug:

Of course, that's with the weight of all the associated camping stuff, full water containers, leisure batteries, gas bottles, tinned food etc., and the weight of a Carawagon roof and the furniture!

A lot of folk seem to say good things about ProComp shocks, but we've used 1 Ton shocks on the paras (extra length compared to standard shocks) which do the job, and are much cheaper :whistle:

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
RobW

Post by RobW » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:00 am

Which end do you plan on point your head at when sleeping? If it's the rear then being a bit high isn't a problem. I have a step bolted to the cross member & then use a caravan step to make it easier to get in/out.