Iceland 2017?

Please post your trips here, past, present & future.
Note that shows etc. should be posted in the 'Events & Shows' section.
peejaysea

Iceland 2017?

Post by peejaysea » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:10 am

Hi all

I have started a thread on the Series 2 Forum regarding a potential trip to Iceland in 2017:

http://www.series2club.co.uk/forum/foru ... #msg795060

Hopefully the link works, but in summary:

Would anyone be interested in a 2017 trip to Iceland?

My 13 year old told me last night it was on the top of his want to go there list... there and Japan! I think Iceland may be easier in a 2A!

I am going to start looking into it soon but wondered if anyone else may be interested?

Provisionally looking at school summer holiday dates (yep most expensive time ... but longest time available) and thinking about a 4-ish week period overall, but willing to stretch it out wink

Any takers - or anyone done it before?

Regards
Paul
RMS

Re: Iceland 2017?

Post by RMS » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:58 am

It does sound like a great trip :cheers:

There used to be a ferry route from Scotland, but that stopped running a couple of years ago so as far as I know the only route now is from the top of Denmark which is a fair old trek in its own right - 822 miles from Dover!

Rumour has it that you used to be able to negotiate a place on a container/goods ferry from UK, staying in crew cabins and your vehicle would be loaded on an open container base. It might be worth asking around to see if that's still possible.

I think, once you have some idea of timings and costs folk will be in a better position to 'sign up' :tiphat:

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
peejaysea

Post by peejaysea » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:06 pm

RMS wrote:It does sound like a great trip :cheers:

There used to be a ferry route from Scotland, but that stopped running a couple of years ago so as far as I know the only route now is from the top of Denmark which is a fair old trek in its own right - 822 miles from Dover!

Rumour has it that you used to be able to negotiate a place on a container/goods ferry from UK, staying in crew cabins and your vehicle would be loaded on an open container base. It might be worth asking around to see if that's still possible.

I think, once you have some idea of timings and costs folk will be in a better position to 'sign up' :tiphat:

Cheers,
Robin.

Thanks for the reply Robin. It is a shame that the ferry from Scotland is no more and that the only "advertised" way appears to be the slog up to Denmark.

Interesting comment about the Urban Myth. I will have to investigate that.

Very early days and a fair point about timings / cost. Will do some digging but just wanted to throw it out there as early as possible.

Regards
Paul
RobW

Post by RobW » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:03 pm

Talk to venture4x4 (see Oop North a couple of threads below). They ship the vehicles up for their tours.
peejaysea

Post by peejaysea » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:05 pm

Thanks Rob will take a peek.

Paul