Gerty Goes North - Arctic Circle, Nordkapp and Norway

Please post your trips here, past, present & future.
Note that shows etc. should be posted in the 'Events & Shows' section.
peejaysea

Re: Gerty Goes North - Arctic Circle, Nordkapp and Norway

Post by peejaysea » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:16 pm

Hi Romanyrose

Thanks for the compliments. I will have a look to see if I have any photos of the rear when I went on the trip. Nothing special done to her TBH.

I had three plastic crates on the LHS for fod and camping stuff (+ bungeed in place) and a large storage box for spares and odd / ends on the RHS. Tools oils, lubes etc. were stored in the side lockers / front locker (from Mick). Then camping stove, chair and water and fuel jerry cans on RHS all strapped in. I had my clothes stored in the PO's original homemade canvas suit / clothing carrier.

My bed was on the floor in the rear - again nothing fancy....2 sleeping bags (just in case), pillow, air mattress and some old carpet matting. Simples.

In the cab I had a "day box" with a Trangia cooker, flask, snacks and the days food supply pre sorted. I used the Trangia mostly and only twice used the "gas cooker" on my rear door table.

The two vital things I did for the trip (bar from a major service) were:
1. Fit electrical points for charging phone and powering my sat nav. (Paper maps were primarily used though) and....
2. Fitting a sheep skin cover to my seat. Bliss :gold: :gold: :gold: Bought on the Isle of Skye (Skye Skins) this summer from one if only two traditional tanneries in the UK (apparently).

In all honesty I took too much stuff - but it was four weeks and my first solo venture!

I too trawl the rites fir ideas and post this trip have a couple in mind for my next outing in 2017.

So nothing major but I will promise to dig out a photo - there must be at least one of the interior in the 1500+ photos that I took on the trip!!

Cheers
Paul
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Post by Jabbawocky » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:18 pm

Hi Paul

Looks like you had a fantastic trip. Really would like to take the Dormobile one day. It's on the list.

Hope you have a good recovery from your operations. My only advice is do what the Physios say and buy a dog. Worked for me. I managed to break my pelvis at both sides and separated my pubic synthesis by 4cm. Told me I would always walk with a stick and never work again!

Cheers Mick
peejaysea

Post by peejaysea » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:43 am

Jabbawocky wrote:Hi Paul

Looks like you had a fantastic trip. Really would like to take the Dormobile one day. It's on the list.

Hope you have a good recovery from your operations. My only advice is do what the Physios say and buy a dog. Worked for me. I managed to break my pelvis at both sides and separated my pubic synthesis by 4cm. Told me I would always walk with a stick and never work again!

Cheers Mick

Thanks Mick

Now at Week 8 post op and recovery going ok. Have some issues with the right knee but physio working on that. Rehab facility I go to (4 hrs per day 4 days a week) is great. Have not been able to drive Gerty as I don't have the flex to get the legs / knees into " the Series LR driving position". Hoping to improve on that soon as she really looks sad sitting not being used!

We have two dogs already and they are keeping me on my toes - bit of a struggle curbing their "walkies" enthusiasm and not pulling me off my feet - but we are getting there.

Regarding the trip - well worth the effort and expense. The ferry to Gothenberg helped and was quite relaxing and cuts out a massive chunk of driving for those individuals UK based and interested in heading that way. Would use it again in a heartbeat.

Thanks for the storage box - it came in really handy. Will fit the Jerry can holders when I feel up to it! Still planning on visiting you :wink:

Regards
Paul
peejaysea

Post by peejaysea » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:32 am

Hi Folks

So Gerty is now famous!

Her adventures have been recorded in Classic Land Rover magazine for the past three months in articles written by Toby Savage.

Starting in July with "Out of Africa" the articles relate to the history of Gerty and her travels and ownership in the early 1970's in Africa. Flowing through into August "Journeys End" sees the story continues with the previous owners return overland trip to the UK.

The September publication sees the change of ownership and tells the tale of my overland trip to the Arctic Circle and Nordkapp last year in "Go North Young Man".

Famous at last :gold:

Many thanks to Toby for taking the time to work the articles - I owe you a beer or two :bow:
DrivingDutchman

Post by DrivingDutchman » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:22 pm

Remind me to ask you for an autograph when I see you... LOL. :cheers: :whistle:
1969 109 sw dormobile Dora
1996 overland defender sw 110 Nellie
1962 109 sw safari diesel Hannie (sold)
1973 88 series 3 soft top in various bits on the drive...
romanyrose
Info: romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:13 pm

G'day matey, having been taken by my young lady to a landrover event and dropped off, if only for a couple of day's so i could chill out with some good friend's round a camp fire in a field !, it was heaven.
My dream's were always to travel in one of my truck's like you have done with that type of scenery , although i must admit Scotland is enough for me these day's :wink:, just sitting with my truck in some secluded part at ease with nature is my idea of a good time.
Envious :whistle: yes, but these day's a bit of tinkering with the intention of traveling again spurred on by pictures you have put up is pure magic and for that i thank you :tiphat: .

Catch you later. R-Rose :wine: .