Gathering in France 2015, we are definitely going.

Please post your trips here, past, present & future.
Note that shows etc. should be posted in the 'Events & Shows' section.
Dormy
Info: Sleeping on the job.....Zzzzzz

Re: Gathering in France 2015, we are definitely going.

Post by Dormy » Fri May 15, 2015 8:26 am

Mick,

Just preping Dormy and sorting what to pack. Does the campsite have electric hookup, (is it included in the pitch fee) and are the connectors blue like UK or continental two pin ?

Ian
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Post by Jabbawocky » Sat May 16, 2015 10:53 pm

Hi Ian

All the pitches have electricity. Don't think it is included in the price, but we don't need it so cannot remember. The plugs when we were last there were the french 2 pin, but sites are slowly upgrading there hook ups and adopting the blue plugs. Cannot remember the amps available on French sites, but the ones with the French plugs are normally lower than the blue plugs.

We do have a lead. We went into the first supermarket, bought a plug and swapped it for the UK 13 amp plug. Lou has a hair dryer with a French plug fitted as there are plugs (and mirrors) in the shower block.

Looking forward to it.

Cheers Mick
Dormy
Info: Sleeping on the job.....Zzzzzz

Post by Dormy » Sun May 17, 2015 11:36 pm

OK, found an adapter from a previous trip and put it with the cable from the caravan.

Got away today but had trouble within 20 miles, turned around and struggled home. Cannibalised the electronic ignition from another engine and got going again. Now in Dover enjoying a comfy bed before getting the ferry tomorrow. Got a book on 'Haute Normandy' so we will find plenty to do/see.

See you Sat.
Ian & Dianne
Jabbawocky

Post by Jabbawocky » Fri May 29, 2015 11:44 pm

Hi all

We definitely went. Picked William up from school at normal time and even though the holiday traffic was terrible, we were parked up on the 'Aire de Service' at Citi Europe Calais just after midnight. Friends joined us Saturday morning and we set off on quiet French Autoroutes towards Forges les Eaux. The only slight delay was road works at the Toll Booths, but it was so nice to be driving through the rolling countryside of Northern France. The Dia supermarket in Forges is a discount supermarket, but has fantastic fruit and veg, and also has the best butchers counter you have ever seen. Our favorite are the duck breast on a stick and the merguez sausages. Loaded up with food and booze we set off for the final leg to Lyons la foret. As you just don't buy bread from a supermarket in France, the only stop was for baguettes from a village boulangerie. We arrived on site and went into the office to be told Dormy had booked us a pitch next to his.
Dormy's pitch
Our set up showing the lovely weather.
Into town for a beer
Breakfast.
Sunday Lunch
Joe and Louise enjoying breakfast in the morning sun.

Sorry the photos are limited, but my phone bust.

We are already planning to repeat the trip the same half term next year.

Cheers Mick
Marque

Post by Marque » Sat May 30, 2015 5:44 am

Terrific. Have a lovely time. I am very happy for you. Safe travels.
Kindest regards
Mark
RMS

Post by RMS » Sat May 30, 2015 9:49 am

Looks like a great trip, again, Mick & Ian.

One year I will definitely join you :embarassed:

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
Travelinlight
Info: 1971 Series IIA Dormobile

Post by Travelinlight » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:14 pm

Looks great, could you provide a little more information on the awning on the Dormobile and how it attaches to the vehicle?

Thank you,
Jabbawocky

Post by Jabbawocky » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:15 pm

Hi Sean

Do you mean the side awning or the rear awning?

The side awning is a 2.8m Caravanstore http://www.fiamma.com/EN/products/fiamm ... avanstore/ awning, which is designed to be used on touring caravans. It slides into awning channel Image, which is glued and self tapped to the LR gutter. It is a touch too low, but the lifting roof makes it awkward to get it any higher. To allow the side doors to open when rolled up, I have three straps which hold it up out of the way. They are a brilliant bit of kit and can be erected or packed away in under 1 minute with a little practice.

The rear awning is a bespoke awning I designed to be simple to erect, combine with the side awning, but still look correct on a 1971 Dormobile. The roof of the awning fits into another section of awning rail fitted to the vertical face of rear of the LR roof. The sides press stud to the side of the Land Rover. Both sides can be lifted and there is also a door in the rear of the awning. The original design allowed the side awning to be fitted on either side and the rear awning to connect to it, but in practice we have only ever used it on the O/S.
(same campsite in May 2112)

Hope this helps

If you need more detail, let me know and I will take some pictures.

Cheers Mick
Travelinlight
Info: 1971 Series IIA Dormobile

Post by Travelinlight » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:16 pm

Mick,

Thank you, that helps a lot. I was thinking something similar but I was concerned about height as I am 6' 4". This may be my best option.

Sean
Jabbawocky

Post by Jabbawocky » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:13 pm

Hi Sean

You need to carry 4 of these.

Mick