Hello. Joined forum after meeting at Leafers.

Welcome & new forum members - Please introduce yourself & your motor here.
2aWagonDave

Hello. Joined forum after meeting at Leafers.

Post by 2aWagonDave » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:49 am

Whoops. Realised I posted in the wrong place. Moved it now to the correct place?

So...after 18 months of owning a 60's Carawagon, I've jumped into the 21st century and now have a computer!
My 1st attempt to get on here took me to 'Los Ranchitos Cabana Club' ....not quite what I was expecting.

Having popped over to Leafers this year, it was great to meet lots of friendly Carawagon owners and see loads of series vehicles all together. I'm new to Landies so the learning curve has been steep. I thought I'd bought something rare....seems not! Definitely considering staying for the weekend next year!

It was great to see on here how my 'Wagon was back in Feb '15. Those who saw me at Leafers would note that the biggest change was the removal of the roof. I will do a roof restoration, having had lots of advice and seen how to purchase all the seals and rivets etc. I've simply put a temporary plain roof on (£20 worth) and made a long roof-rack out of my son's climbing frame. It's been great for camping - Fiamma thing on the side, bike racks on the roof and tent attached to the back. We get less wet now. I re-made all the rotted bulkhead and bench seat stuff from '70's dining room sideboards. I fitted 2 'Nathan' Sideboards from the 70's down the right hand side too so it's fully functional now.

Water stored behind drivers seat piped to a stainless sink, Extra battery behind Passenger seat with large inverter, and a cool-box in the gap to the left of the rear door.... and all works well. Despite running with a dynamo, I've not flattened either battery yet!

Other major work carried out so far includes various patches of welding to the chassis, valves and skimming of head, piston rings, crank shells etc. It tried to let me down after a steam fair last year....clutch slave cylinder packed in...but I managed 100 miles or so home in 4th gear judging gaps to traffic lights and roundabouts.

I considered an engine swap....but I think I like the straight 6....compared to diesels I've travelled In...it's quite nice to be able to converse with passengers....but then again, is that a suitable trade-off for lack of grunt and about 13 mpg?

So....reasonable first 'post' ?? Next, I'll learn how to do photo's.
gossamer

Re: Hello. Joined forum after meeting at Leafers.

Post by gossamer » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:02 pm

Hellooooooooo
:hello: :cheers:
To infirmary and beyond!