Searle Safari

Welcome & new forum members - Please introduce yourself & your motor here.
soldiersteve

Searle Safari

Post by soldiersteve » Thu May 03, 2018 5:29 pm

Hi Everyone

I have decided to downsize from my current 101FC Ambulance to something more useable. So tomorrow I am going to have a look at a 1971 Searle Safari. it can be seen here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1971-LAND-RO ... SwNd9Z21WT

I realise this is a bit late but any advice on what to look for and what to avoid would be much appreciated. I've already had some good advice from the Series 2 club about the base vehicle but could do with some extra advice on the Searle conversions please.

Many thanks,

Steve
RMS

Re: Searle Safari

Post by RMS » Thu May 03, 2018 7:13 pm

Hi Steve,

Sorry, I missed your posts on S2C forum - if I'd realised you were asking about a Searle I might have noticed :embarassed:

Stu (forum name Stuey) is the expert on here for 88" Carawagons/Safari Sleepers.

He's got a website specifically about these shorties, HERE.
If you haven't already found that site, it might be worth you checking it out.

There are also brochures on this site, in the 'Technical & Workshop' section HERE.

I see the one you are looking at - it's been on ebay for quite a while, I tended to ignore it because of the price :embarassed: but I'm sure they were asking more for it a couple of months ago. It's obviously not selling, so you might be able to bargain a bit more off, though you also need to make sure the seats are the original Safari sleeper design if you intend sleeping in it.

The rear awning and frame certainly look authentic, and are a bonus on the 88" as space is tight in the vehicle with the bed set up.

I remember Stu setting his up at a show - awning up, empty the vehicle into the awning, then set the bed up :laugh:

Do let us know what you think of it when you've seen it.

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
soldiersteve

Post by soldiersteve » Thu May 03, 2018 8:54 pm

RMS wrote:Hi Steve,

Sorry, I missed your posts on S2C forum - if I'd realised you were asking about a Searle I might have noticed :embarassed:

Stu (forum name Stuey) is the expert on here for 88" Carawagons/Safari Sleepers.

He's got a website specifically about these shorties, HERE.
If you haven't already found that site, it might be worth you checking it out.

There are also brochures on this site, in the 'Technical & Workshop' section HERE.

I see the one you are looking at - it's been on ebay for quite a while, I tended to ignore it because of the price :embarassed: but I'm sure they were asking more for it a couple of months ago. It's obviously not selling, so you might be able to bargain a bit more off, though you also need to make sure the seats are the original Safari sleeper design if you intend sleeping in it.

The rear awning and frame certainly look authentic, and are a bonus on the 88" as space is tight in the vehicle with the bed set up.

I remember Stu setting his up at a show - awning up, empty the vehicle into the awning, then set the bed up :laugh:

Do let us know what you think of it when you've seen it.

Cheers,
Robin.
Hi Robin

I had seen the 88" website but as it has not been updated for over 5 years I had assumed it was in hibernation.

The brochures are fantastic though and a great help so thanks for that link.

You're right, at £13,999 its not cheap but has come down from the earlier asking price of £22,950. From what I've found out about it on the internet it appears to have been brought back from Ireland in 2014 and was advertised for sale by the Land Rover Centre in Huddersfield for £17,450. The chap at the current garage told me he gave over £20k in part exchange for another vehicle and now seems to be regretting it. It's also been up for auction recently with an estimate of £14-£16k but as it didn't sell I'm guessing that it failed to make it's reserve.

My greatest concern is if it doesn't have the correct seats in it then I will I be able to get a new set made.

I'll certainly put another post up when I've been to see it.

Thanks again for the help,

Steve
Stuey

Post by Stuey » Thu May 03, 2018 11:51 pm

Hi
It’s been up for sale a while now, started at 15k a few years ago, went up to 20k with the current seller then jumped up a bit more then has come down a considerable amount. IMHO with good series 2’s being around the 5k mark then I would expect this to be a little more than that, 7-8k at the most unless it is really exceptional, which this does not look so as I remember seeing the photos when it was originally up and there wasn’t even rear door trim - not a biggy but when you want 15k for a vehicle it would be nice.

Good things are that it has an original awning, not that common on full size motors never mind the short ones. It’s a bit of a shame that there are no pictures of in the rear, after all the pull out seat is what sets these apart from a standard 88.

I think I may have some photos somewhere, as the PO sent me some i’ll have a look and report back.

Apologies about the website, yes it’s not been updated in a while, due to several factors like not having time due to building a business up and loosing my Land Rover mojo, it’s on the ever expanding ‘to do list’ along with a million other things!
Not everything has to be big!

www.88inchcarawagons.co.uk
Stuey

Post by Stuey » Fri May 04, 2018 12:04 am

Found some photo’s (i received them four years ago though!)
landrover2014_019.jpg
landrover2014_017.jpg
landrover2014_012.jpg
landrover_012.jpg
landrover_007.jpg
landrover_006.jpg
landrover_005.jpg
landrover_003.jpg

soldiersteve

Post by soldiersteve » Fri May 04, 2018 7:56 am

Stuey wrote:Hi
It’s been up for sale a while now, started at 15k a few years ago, went up to 20k with the current seller then jumped up a bit more then has come down a considerable amount. IMHO with good series 2’s being around the 5k mark then I would expect this to be a little more than that, 7-8k at the most unless it is really exceptional, which this does not look so as I remember seeing the photos when it was originally up and there wasn’t even rear door trim - not a biggy but when you want 15k for a vehicle it would be nice.

Good things are that it has an original awning, not that common on full size motors never mind the short ones. It’s a bit of a shame that there are no pictures of in the rear, after all the pull out seat is what sets these apart from a standard 88.

I think I may have some photos somewhere, as the PO sent me some i’ll have a look and report back.

Apologies about the website, yes it’s not been updated in a while, due to several factors like not having time due to building a business up and loosing my Land Rover mojo, it’s on the ever expanding ‘to do list’ along with a million other things!
Hi Stuey

Thanks for the advice and the pictures are brilliant. The ability to sleep in it is important to me so if the seats are wrong and I do get it I would be looking to get some. Do you know of any firms that makes replicas.

As you say the tent is a real bonus especially on a SWB and since the photos you have were taken it has had a capstan winch added which I also find appealing although in reality would never use!

I'm on my way to see it now and will post again afterwards.

Steve
Stuey

Post by Stuey » Fri May 04, 2018 10:03 pm

Hi Steve,
Good luck with the viewing, hope it goes well :gold:

Sorry I’m not aware of anyone who makes the benchs for the back, best bet would be to get some measurements and go from there. For the correct period fixings to make it look right look at a carawagon of a similar age as they changed over the years, your more than welcome to have a look at mine when I’m out and about

Kind regards

Stu

soldiersteve

Post by soldiersteve » Fri May 04, 2018 10:19 pm

I bought it!

I paid more than Stuey suggested but managed to get it closer to his estimate than the asking price and well into 4 figures rather than 5.

Having spent some time going through all the paperwork it seems it was restored on a new galvanised chassis around 1999-2000 by an enthusiast in the Loughborough area.

It drives really nicely through all of the gears including the overdrive with no noticeable whining or nasty mechanical noises and everything seems to work as it should including the capstan winch.

The paint work isn't perfect but is more than acceptable with the sort of blemishes and marks you would expect after 18 years.

The biggest downer on it is that much of the original interior is missing although since the pics that Stuey put up were taken it has gained some standard bench seats so at least it will still seat 7. The tent is complete though which is a good thing although I expect it may not be the original canvas as it simply looks too good.

As far as its recent history is concerned, the Land Rover Centre in Huddersfield had it for some time before selling it to a chap in London for over 17k. He added the capstan when he bought it and then traded it in to the dealer I've bought it from as part of a deal with a Range Rover ambulance.

Generally I'm really happy with it but the real test will be the drive home to the Isle of Wight on Wednesday when I go to collect it.

PS, I now need to sell the 101. Anyone interested?
RMS

Post by RMS » Fri May 04, 2018 10:53 pm

Well Done Steve :gold:

Looking forward to hearing how you get on with it.

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
Stuey

Post by Stuey » Sun May 06, 2018 2:57 pm

Good stuff :nana1:

Looking forward to seeing it, personally I would be changing a few things to make it more 'period' looking like remove the chequer plate and change the rear panels as those windows just look out of place, but that's just me.

Nice buy, look after it and sure it will be a good investment for you!