Searle Safari information needed please

Welcome & new forum members - Please introduce yourself & your motor here.
Dizzy

Post by Dizzy » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:06 pm

Hi
I am the proud owner of a searle safari chassis number 24212434G I am trying to find out how many of these still survive and if its a MK 1 or 2. It has a double bed configuration in the rear?nixweiss
Any information or places i can find out about it would be appreciated.
Thanks
RMS

Re: Searle Safari information needed please

Post by RMS » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:20 pm

Hi, and welcome :hello:

As I mentioned over on the S2C forum, Stu is the expert in these shorties.
I think he'll be lurking here somewhere, so I'm sure he'll get back to you.

Meanwhile, there are brochures in our Technical section, HERE including some 88" if you want to have a browse.

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
Stuey

Re: Searle Safari information needed please

Post by Stuey » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:57 pm

Hiya,
Sorry been busy lately trying to secure accounts with my business and other business related boring stuff.

Due to there being no records existing (as far as I know) I’ve tried piecing together over the years a little bit of a run down of the SWB Campers, in there basic form:

Searle Safari [MK1]

Single bench seat that converts into a bed on the passenger side

Searle Safari MK2

Double bench seats on both sides that convert into two single beds or one very big bed (I think the passenger side one is wider than the drivers side)

Searle Safari MK3

Same as MK2 bit on a Series 3

**I have also seen what I am referring to as ‘Searle Safari’ as a Safari or Safari Sleeper**

Mini-Carawagon

Bench setup as per the MK1 but with a purpose built cabinet and a small window (very Carawagony) on the drivers side and a full size window in the rear on the passenger side (aftermarket and not a Land Rover window as such) but still very Carawagon-esque

Carawagon Compact

This has a pop top roof very similar to the full size vehicles, bed seems to be on the drivers side and almost looks like the same designer did the interior that was also doing the Range Rover conversion. Very different to the other models!

NB I didn’t realise this style of vehicle even existed until a brochure turned up on eBay a couple of years ago
Not everything has to be big!

www.88inchcarawagons.co.uk