Hi from Australia

Welcome & new forum members - Please introduce yourself & your motor here.
County25
Info: NSW Australia

Hi from Australia

Post by County25 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:45 am

Hi. I'm Chris from Australia. I have a 1987 Landrover 110 County V8 which has a fibreglass pop top roof. The fit out inside is minimal with dual batteries, portable fridge, water and various storage containers for food, water, cooking, recovery gear etc. I use it regularly for camping and exploring around the countryside. :tiphat:
RMS

Re: Hi from Australia

Post by RMS » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:25 pm

Hi Chris, and Welcome.

Where in Australia are you - I know it's a big country, but there are a few LRCC members 'down under', and it's one of our favourite holiday destinations - when travel is allowed again! :tiphat:

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
County25
Info: NSW Australia

Post by County25 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:17 am

Hi Robin,

We are in the Bega Valley which is on the Far South Coast of New South Wales (about 600 klms south of Sydney). Most of my meanderings with the Landrover are within NSW, but I have covered fair bit of the rest of the country in other vehicles. Before Covid struck I was planning a much longer run with the ACT Landrover Club into outback NSW and Queensland, but this was cancelled. I will be heading off into the Snowy Mountains (Summertime here) for a few days in about a week or so which is mostly reasonable dirt roads once off the highway. There are some picturesque but basic campsites through the National Parks. Not luxurious, but peaceful.

Whereabouts are you located? I haven't been to the UK, but maybe one day. Do you do much travel with your Landrovers? I see you have a few.

Regards

Chris
RMS

Post by RMS » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:28 am

Hi Chris,

Middle of England for us - near Wakefield/Leeds, West Yorks.

Not quite the open country you live in, but we have travelled as far as Morocco through France & Spain, Ireland to do the southern half of the Wild Atlantic Way, and the Inner Hebrides, all in our Carawagons.
We also camp in the Yorkshire Dales and the North Yorkshire Moors, so it's not all urban jungle here :whistle:

I lived near Adelaide (Athelstone) for 8 years as a kid, returning to the UK in 1971, and I remember one trip in particular there - Adelaide to Sydney via the highest mountain in Australia, Mount Kosciuszko where you could drive to within 100 yards of the summit! - first time I'd seen ice in Australia! Then on to the Princess Highway and up to Sydney, so probably came quite close to your place. All of that was in a VW Beetle, towing a home made bedframe trailer with a big, heavy military tent!

When we get back there we usually travel to Perth and Hobart where we still have family, and Adelaide where we still have friends, but usually try to get 2 or 3 weeks travelling in as well, around Tasmania, Adelaide to Melbourne via the Coorong & coast road, Kangaroo Island (the year before the devastating fires!), Sydney to Byron Bay, and Cairns/Port Douglas.
Of course, all our travelling there is with hire cars and hotels/motels/AirBnB when not staying with family/friends, so no chance to explore the real outback :cactus:

Send more pictures when you get out again - the gum trees bring back great memories for me, and I can almost hear the sounds - warbling magpies, kookaburras, forest ravens, budgies, cockatoos etc. from my childhood :cheers:

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)