"Hei" from Norway

Welcome & new forum members - Please introduce yourself & your motor here.
RMS

Re: "Hei" from Norway

Post by RMS » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:13 pm

telindnor wrote:We did not have a heater except the prophane stove. So...it is cold on the feet and hot at the head. I would like a heater which can stand on the floor and give dry heat. Suggestion?
We do use our classic cars daily. For us the "history" should be told "on the road" and not in a museum.
Thanks for all nice feedback.
New post from the next trip!

I hope you have a carbon monoxide detector - it's not unheard of for propane/butane stoves to kill in confined spaces, I'm sorry to say :embarassed:

You really can't get better than a 'Webasto'' type of cab/night heater.

The exhaust vents to the outside, and so is perfectly safe to use for all night if you really need to.

I use mine for 30 minutes while getting ready for bed, then turn it on 10-15 minutes before getting out of bed in the morning.
They just sip Diesel - 0.2l per hour on full blast :cheers:

Fitted low down, you can have the hot air blowing out at floor level - it's great to sit there with your feet in the hot air getting warm :cheers:

As it happens, I do occasionally order THESE HEATERS in batches - I've just sold my last one from the last batch so might start taking orders for the next batch now.
They are available for petrol as well, though for economy I would suggest if you have a petrol camper, find somewhere to fix a 5l plastic 'petrol' can to feed the heater and use agricultural (red in the UK) Diesel.

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
telindnor

Post by telindnor » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:54 pm

Oh no. I never use prophane in the night. Always turning off at the regulator. Well, an Webasto would be great but it is too expensive. We will probably only use this car on several trips during the year. We have a Defender for longer trips.
Still looking for a small item to bring with us from cars to tent and so on.
Heat Pal...anyone tried that one?
Dormy
Info: Sleeping on the job.....Zzzzzz

Post by Dormy » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:29 pm

telindnor wrote:Heat Pal...anyone tried that one?
I was given one of these recently but haven't tried it yet. I would be very wary of using it in a tent or vehicle without some ventilation despite what the website says as they must give off carbon monoxide and other noxious gasses.

I already have a Riviera underfloor heater which has a separate burner like a Propex, but doesn't use a battery-draining fan. I will be looking at where it might fit Dormy in the near future. I feel I am much safer with a heater using LPG run externally than a live flame inside a vehicle if I was to fall asleep.

Ian
RMS

Post by RMS » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:03 am

I have a couple of Riviera units, ready to fit to my Dandy trailer tent and my Esterel folding camper.
As Ian says, no 12V required, just gentle heat coming up through the floor :cheers:
They are quite bulky units though, and I think the only place one would fit in a LWB is in the rear floor, behind the axle, assuming you haven't got a rear tank there.

I would still be wary of carbon monoxide though, especially in a LR where the fumes from a Riviera could possibly be 'trapped' between the chassis rails and find their way in somewhere. A detector/alarm should be compulsory, I think, in any vehicle/camper as even the cooker gives of carbon monoxide, and it's quite a small enclosed space.

I think they were discontinued years ago and I've heard various reasons why. One is that you can very easily burn your feet on the exposed grid. Another is that if snow builds up under the side of the vehicle the vent could be blocked and cause fumes into the vehicle. Take your pick - they were very common heaters in trailer tents for many years so can't be all that bad :shrug:

Regarding the Heat Pal, it looks like it's just a more exotic version of a Trangia meths burner with a bigger burner and a lid which heats up to radiate the heat :shrug:
You used to be able to get a mesh version something similar like a dome to fit over a gas burner or paraffin cooker (Optima etc.) years ago; I wonder if they are still available as the Heat Pal looks pretty expensive for what it is, in my opinion.

EDIT: Here you go: Primus heater dome

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
telindnor

Post by telindnor » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:08 pm

Thanks for all good suggestion, I really appreciate it.
I will never use units like this when we sleep. Its only to get some heat when sitting in the camper, drinking a beer and reading a good mag. And when vaking up, when you have to get the snow out of the beard...he-he. I have the Trangia, I have several parafin burners and we have several prophane cookers. But I want an easy to start, and stop unit, which gives us an dry inner climate. And...that unit I want to take with me when I am on trips with the lavvo tent in the winter, crosscountry-skiing with the pulk in the mountains as well.
So...I do not know if it is made yet..but :)
romanyrose
Info: romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:24 pm

G'day matey, i have followed this thread and to be honest am surprised i have not commented on this thing of beauty, it tick's all my boxes of what i would like in a vehicle of my own but unfortunately i think i would need a very large workshop of my own because i work so slow and outside :shrug: .

Not to worry maybe one day :wink: . Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat: .
telindnor

Post by telindnor » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:12 pm

Thanks R-Rose :)
Now I think we are 99% oki with the technical. Brakes are now sorted out. The master cylinder was the problem.
For heat I use and old Primus oil burner when needed.
Got the new curtains and the sofa today.
Well terrible pic..
DSC_0157.JPG
romanyrose
Info: romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:59 pm

G'day matey, i must say it is a thing of beauty and you should be very proud to own such a vehicle, other than that i am speechless and a tad envious having never seen something so beautiful.

Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat:
DrivingDutchman

Post by DrivingDutchman » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:53 am

That looks fabulous. Just the right colour. :gold:

Michiel
1969 109 sw dormobile Dora
1996 overland defender sw 110 Nellie
1962 109 sw safari diesel Hannie (sold)
1973 88 series 3 soft top in various bits on the drive...
gossamer

Post by gossamer » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:21 am

It is lovely.
To infirmary and beyond!