One in Sheffield

Please post your photos and descriptions of your Carawagon, Dormobile or Camper here.
RobW

One in Sheffield

Post by RobW » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:32 pm

Following all the insurance problems it made sense to start a new thread.

So, a 1970 Carawagon but without the pop up roof. Beds and original front seats are present (seats need refitting), but not the extended bits into the foot wells.
20121218_125418.gif
More pictures at some point as she's currently on the drive waiting for me to work out what front brakes are fitted (standard or 6-pot) so I can order parts and a set of new tyres.

Features etc
The original chassis has been repaired & galved, bulkhead repaired and coated and the mechanicals seem good.
PAS fitted, but that needs some work and a good checking over.
Roof has several holes where aerials and a spare carrier have been fitted - BUT no leaks! May look at replacing with a safari roof if I see one.
External panels all pretty straight. Series 3 door hinges & doors - will leave the hinges as the doors fit!
2.5l Defender petrol engine - will see how it goes and maybe swap for a TDi of some sort. Have an overdrive to put in.
Fittings for a secondary front fuel tank & switch gear. Tank isn't there and I'll fit (get fitted!) an external filler to avoid fuel in the cab.
Need to sort out heating, cooking, storage etc.

Hopefully get things started once weather improves & I actually have free time at home in daylight! Suspect I'll mostly have the mechanicals done this year (safety stuff & engine) but the interior may be somewhat longer.

So, any suggestions for cooking, storage & heating (diesel heater?). As I've got front fuel tanks can I fit a gas bottle under the back (possibly water or a second gas bottle too) where the rear tank would go? Will be visiting the Carawagons Anonymous, Wakefield branch, at some point so see some of the options.
RMS

Re: One in Sheffield

Post by RMS » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:15 pm

Looking good Rob :cheers:

Are you sure you want the second tank?
Storage really is at a premium for a camper - an underseat storage box might be more useful - I made one for Patrick's out of a dead petrol tank with a hole cut out of the top and bolted to the underneath of the seat box. His auxiliary battery and tools live in there.
You can always put jerry cans on the outside (as per original Carawagon or Mick's repro, on the front) for extra fuel.

We've got Eberspacher heaters in our two, and Steve has the same. They just sip Diesel or petrol and warm the interior up in just a few minutes, but they are very expensive, even second hand if you want to make sure you get a working one.
If you are looking around for one of those, make sure you get a 12V one as there are lots of 24V ones from lorries on ebay.
You'd be looking at around £300+ for a known good s/h unit, up to £1500 for the latest model new one :aaagh:

Another option is Propex - similar to the Eberspacher/Webasto but uses gas instead of Diesel - a bit cheaper than the other ones, but not as commonly available second hand.

I've got an underfloor gas heater (Riviera) from a Dandy trailer tent - it fits in a hole in the floor, about 12" square. The advantage is that it doesn't need a 12V supply so can be left on low all night (it's thermostatically controlled). The Eberspacher/Webasto ones need about 12A to fire up and 2-3A for running. On an overnight winter camp that takes a fair bit out of an auxiliary battery :embarassed:
I've yet to decide whether to fit that to one of my 'new' Carawagons or to my Dandy trailer tent :stars:

Yes, you can fit gas bottles under the rear - normally the holders are hinged on the outside of the chassis rail behind the rear wheel or under the driver's seat if a rear tank is fitted - if you put them where the rear tank should be you'd have to lay underneath to change them and turn the regulator on/off!
We've also fitted a 20l plastic water tank next to the rear tank in Patrick's - just squeezes in.

Have a look at ours to give you some ideas for cooker etc. Between our 4 we've got 4 different layouts :stars:

Hope that helps - as I say, come over for a look when you get a chance :cheers:

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
romanyrose
Info: romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:54 pm

G'day matey, if you are in need of a good safari roof i have one that needs moving on i also have some other trinkets regards camper lay outs but i have a few interested parties so i can put you on the list if they don't have it or i don't need it.

Just a thought. Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat: .
Calum

Post by Calum » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:22 pm

I recognise that garage...
Do you live around Abbeydale Rd or is that where you got it from?
I'm in Sheffield quite a bit so would quite like a nosey at it and a chin wag if you're about. If you leave it till summer I hopefully might even be in Sheffield in my own Carawagon...

I'd say second tank is a good idea, but extra fuel is easy to carry in cans though I wouldn't be all that happy putting it on the front, especially if you have an accident; even a small one! I believe the front carriers were offered as water carriers only? Obviously you can put in whatever you like but I think most people suggest carrying water there and fuel usually on the roof or the rear of the vehicle, which makes sense I suppose.

I wouldn't be rushing to fit an auxiliary heater either if it were me - if you want the luxury of a home away from home why not have a caravan :shrug: I have camped in the middle of winter many times and see no real need to fit a diesel heater if you invest in good bedding/sleeping bags. The space saved is far more useful as storage I would think.

At the end of the day, the Carawagon was never really offered as a 'standard' item, in fact every one was tailor-made to suit the customer. You make yours how it suits you and your needs as the owner/traveller. I suppose it's really its next chapter with a new owner, being adapted to suit the needs of somebody else.
RMS

Post by RMS » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:01 pm

Calum wrote:I recognise that garage...
........ If you leave it till summer I hopefully might even be in Sheffield in my own Carawagon...
Is that a promise Calum? Early or late summer? :wink:

I see you're on your way with the engine - how's the rest of it coming along?

It's true that a heater isn't essential, but boy, is it great to reach out of bed on a cold and frosty morning, switch it on and wait 5 minutes to get up into a warm vehicle :neener:
True, you don't need it while sleeping, but it's nice to be able to get undressed/dressed in comfort, or is that just my age showing? :embarassed:
Anyway, the Eberspacher isn't very big so doesn't really take up much space.
Of course, I suppose you can put the gas stove on for a few minutes, though that will produce condensation as well as heat.

Without wanting to offend anyone, as the quote goes: "Any fool can be uncomfortable" :laugh:

Oh, and you can't pull a Caravan up Rudland Rigg steps or, in fact, on many green lanes :whistle:

Cheers,
Robin.
(Robin on S2C forum)
Calum

Post by Calum » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:31 pm

No promises, just hopes!

Hoping to be at Leafers in it, if not at a couple of local shows beforehand. Stuff for galvanising will be being taken in the next few weeks hopefully!
RMS

Post by RMS » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:14 pm

Lucky Leafers has been put back to August then :wink:

I wonder if we can beat last year's Carawagon turnout - I think it was 7 including the Abersoch Express :gold:

There's your absolute latest deadline then, Rob & Calum - 24-26 August for Leafers at t'Pit :tiphat:
(Robin on S2C forum)
RobW

Post by RobW » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:42 pm

I'm on Bannerdale Road near the end of Glenorchy - so only about 400 yds from that garage. Used to live even closer! She's currently on the drive waiting for me to have enough time to do stuff (after the 88" has been checked over). Let me know when you're about and will see what I'm doing, and whether Carawagon is back at the garage - they're doing the brakes & a full safety check over and above the MOT.

The heater was mainly for SWMBO. I find sleeping in thermals & keeping the next layer in the sleeping bag to be sufficient! It's the list of "maybe" so interested in the two viewpoints.

Brad - bits would be appreciated. I might have a look at the Dorma roof that Dan's advertising - will comment in that thread. Pretty much I'm missing the extended seat bits for the front (ie into footwells) and the section to make a double. Then there's the wardrobes etc, but may look at a more modern stove/fridge unit if it's more practical (and can be made to blend in).
RMS

Post by RMS » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:20 pm

RobW wrote: .
Pretty much I'm missing the extended seat bits for the front (ie into footwells) and the section to make a double.
I can measure those up for you if you want Rob, so you can have them made up or make them yourself.

I'm missing the means to fit those extended cushions in place - there are some short lengths of 1" square tubing with my latest one, and the cushions, but because the bulkhead has been changed I think some fittings may be missing :stars:

All should become clear, I hope, when we get yours and mine next to each other :tiphat:

Cheers,
Robin.
(Robin on S2C forum)
RobW

Post by RobW » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:35 pm

The extra tank is to give me a bit more range as it's a 10 gallon front fill. On petrol that's 150-200 miles, and can only carry 2 of 10l cans, giving me another 50ish miles. Obviously diesel improves things a bit, but a second tank makes life easier (in theory).