Walter the Dormobile

Please post your photos and descriptions of your Carawagon, Dormobile or Camper here.
Gromit

Re: Walter the Dormobile

Post by Gromit » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:01 am

Photobucket are now holding me to ransom !
They changed their terms & conditions and are now demanding money to re-instate 3rd Party hosting.

Once I sort out another photo hosting site I'll reload some photos.

Colin
1956 Series I 86" hardtop
1960 Series II LWB ute (sold)
1965 Series IIa Dormobile
1970 Series IIa GS
1976 Series III SWB with Isuzu 2.4
1981 Series III FFR
1995 Defender Tanami
woollen797

Post by woollen797 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:52 am

I only used Photobucket for the forums so now they have done this I'll no longer use it. I do use Flickr for my photos but sadly all I can add to forums is links to photos instead of the photos themselves.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21667585@ ... 8665590323
Gromit

Post by Gromit » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:59 am

I've started work on my Dormobile again and need to find somewhere to host photos.
Photobucket held me to ransom then I switched to Flickr and they introduced a limit on the number of pictures you could host FOC !!! There are a few pictures left on Flickr.

Anyway, I'm busy installing seatbelts and then moving on to re-covering the seats.
Every time I spend time on the Dormobile I find things missing or broken. One of the rear seats has had the latch cut off so I'll have to make a copy using the other seat.
Today I found rust in the bottom of the B pillar on the passenger side. At some point in the future I'll have to remove the side (A pillar, B pillar & 1/2 C pillar) and either fix the rust or replace with a better panel I have from a Series III Station Wagon. Not looking forward to doing this but one Winter I'll get round to it, the other side probably wants doing as well !

ImageDSCF3388 by Colin Radley, on Flickr

Colin
1970 Series IIa GS
1981 Series III FFR
1995 Defender Tanami
Litelandy

Post by Litelandy » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:02 am

G'day Colin,
I saw a post you put up on the AULRO forum of your dormobile seat trim set from Exmoor. I was wondering what you thought of it and if it included everything you need? I had a feeling they don't provide the material for the underside of the seat?

Cheers,

Litelandy 👍
Gromit

Post by Gromit » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:19 am

Litelandy wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:02 am G'day Colin,
I saw a post you put up on the AULRO forum of your dormobile seat trim set from Exmoor. I was wondering what you thought of it and if it included everything you need? I had a feeling they don't provide the material for the underside of the seat?

Apologies for the very late reply, I haven't been on the forum for a very long time.
I still haven't got round to fitting the seatcovers, too many projects and not enough time......I'm fairly active on AULRO.

I've been deliberating over the headlining for some time, mine is still there but dirty and damaged.

I recently finished some formers for bending Masonite for the headlining, had to make left & right for the front section and one for the two middle sections. The original hardboard/Masonite was quite thin and looks like it had a textured vinyl already applied, probably in common use in the caravan industry back then.
I found some 3.2mm Masonite locally and downloaded a brochure from Masonite that actually details the permanent bending process.

Tried one of the mid sections at the weekend, wet it down over a few hours then clamped it between the formers. No cracking sounds so promising.....
Left it out in the sun the next day then couldn't wait so had to see if it had worked.
There was some springback so I might try wetting it again and re clamping but an overall success. Now to measure & cut out some Masonite for the front section and see how that works out. The bend at the front is much tighter so it might be a bit harder.
Once finished I need to cover it with some thin vinyl.

Photos are on the AULRO site, when I find a way of free hosting I can put them on here.

The original Silent Gliss curtain rail had been removed from mine and a very dodgy curtain rail fitted in it's place so there are lots of excess holes in the headlining.
Could someone post a picture of where the headlining & Silent Gliss rail join together. Do the screws through the rail hold the headlining to the timber battens ??

Thanks,

Colin
1970 Series IIa GS
1981 Series III FFR
1995 Defender Tanami