classic chassic swop

Workshop and Technical tips & tricks.
Flo109
Info: 1972 109 LR Marshall Ambulance Camper

classic chassic swop

Post by Flo109 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:05 am

Hi everyone,
I need some help or advice! As a few of you know I have a 1966 short wheel base diesel land rover which belonged to my late father. The motor has been off the road since 1988, I also have a 1962 long wheel base safari, I have managed to get another 1962 long wheel long book and chassis remains.
The question basically is can I build my 1966 on a new long wheel base galvanized chassis and keep the original reg? It will be leaf sprung and I’ve managed to get a very sweet defender 200tdi.
Kind regards
Mark
AlexB

Re: classic chassic swop

Post by AlexB » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:05 pm

short answer is no. There were tales of woe from someone a while ago who had done similar and fell out with DVLA over it. You might be able to plate rob your swb or even transfer it though to the LWB
Flo109
Info: 1972 109 LR Marshall Ambulance Camper

Post by Flo109 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:12 pm

Thank's Alex,
The long wheel base would give me more room with 3 kids and 2 dogs now!..
I mean't to say defender 200tdi engine!...
mark
w3526602
Info: (That's my old RAF number)

Post by w3526602 » Wed May 07, 2014 4:48 pm

Hi,

There is provision, somewhere in the DVLA web site, that allows you to build a "new" vehicle from parts that are all at least 25 years old .... and get a registration that is approriate to the age of the youngest component. However, there is no evidence that anybody has ever done it.It might be worth a letter to DVLA Customer Services, couched in very broad terms, asking for their comments.

I wrote to them , probably about 15 years ago, asking for confirmation that I could build such a vehicle, using a brand new chassis. They said NO! A new chassis is not 25 years old.

You are allowed to fit a brand new chassis, and keep the original number, but the new chassis must be tha same spec as the original .... no change of suspension ... no change of wheelbase

You can do a Cherished Transfer provided both vehicles are taxed and tested, but the number must not make the receiving vehicle appear younger than it really is. That means , you cannot put a 1966 registration on a 1962 vehicle. End of! I don't know if that applies to none suffix/prefix registrations.

The obvious solution is to buy a new galv LWB chassis, and fit LWB suspension and axles ... you did not say if your chassis remains came with axles. SWB brakes are too small for a LWB, and a SWB rear axle will not fit a LWB. SWB wheels and tyres (even 205s) look silly on a LWB. Once built, fit the registration from the Safari, as I assume that is the body (and therefore the chassis) that you will be using. A Safari chassis is very different from a truck-cab, and you do not want to give anyone the chance to ask awkward questions in years to come. The more legit you can be, the better.
Destroy the chassis that matches the registration, but keep the dumb-iron with the chassis number.

Think about telling DVLA that you have fitted the TDi to that registration, ASAP, just in case they move the goalposts. Remember to change the fuel type, and capacity. That means not using that vehicle again until the engine is fitted. It would be good if your chassis remains were also Safari.