Dormobile seat bases past there best.

Workshop and Technical tips & tricks.
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Dormobile seat bases past there best.

Post by Jabbawocky » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:11 pm

Hi all

After 40 odd years on the road, the Dormatic seats in Barney have about had it. I think the last 6 years of having my weight (probably twice the weight they were designed for) bouncing on them, has finished them off. They traditional construction sprung seats and would have cost a fortune to manufacture. The problem is, they are probably going to cost a fortune to restore?

The question is: Do i restore them back to original or replace the springs with foam? The covers are not that bad and will be reused. Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this?

Cheers Mick
Peaceand

Re: Dormobile seat bases past there best.

Post by Peaceand » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:55 pm

Hi Mick,
An idea I toyed with - but haven't tried yet, is buying a cheap memory foam mattress and chopping it into sections to replace all the Carawagon cushions.
Something like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bodymould-Singl ... B00359LGII
I'm not sure it would be supportive enough though - great for sleeping configuration, but maybe not for sitting on for long distances :shrug:

Anyway, as Brad says, just my thoughts.

Patrick
  • Holly - 1972 Searle Carawagon Continental Ultimate (200 TDi)
  • Basil - 1969 Searle SWB (Prima TD)
gossamer

Post by gossamer » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:39 pm

My concern would be that it hasn't the resilience to be uses as travel seating, I may be ok to kip on, though.

I need to do similar in teh ambulance so will be keen to lwaen if it works.
To infirmary and beyond!
Jabbawocky

Post by Jabbawocky » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:13 pm

HI all

Got the drivers seat apart and could see instantly that the springs were not that bad, but had become separated from each other. They were working as individuals, instead of working as a team. I took the whole seat to a friend, who is an upholsterer. John had a good look and thought that if we got all the springs back linked together, replaced the worn out hessian cover and added an extra layer of 3/8" foam, the seat should be ok?

The vertical springs had become separated because they had unwound themselves over the years. I have rewound these springs and will add hog rings all the springs in the central area of the seat to make double sure they stay together. I have found some very tough 3/8" close cell foam which I have cut to sit on top of the springs. This will be covered in a new piece of hessian and this will be sewn to the cushion wire frame. The original 1" soft foam goes on top and then the vinyl cover goes back on.

The cushions are supported on a wire lattice between strong horizontal tension springs. One of the lattice wires has broken and this has been replaced. Two of the springs have become stretched and these will be replaced. I am also looking for extra springs to increase the support.

When i get it back together, I will let you know if all my work has been worthwhile?

Mick
Jabbawocky

Post by Jabbawocky » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:16 pm

Hi all

I said I would update and I am glad to say the repair seams to have been a great success. I guess only time will tell, but at present I must be a couple of inches higher and not bouncing through the roof everytime I hit a bump. Only got Barney back on the road today after fitting the Eberspacer and sorting lots of other improvements that have been waiting until the cabinets had to comme out. Some have been waiting since i fitted the cooker unit 6 years ago.

Cheers Mick