My first trip in My Dormobile

Please post your trips here, past, present & future.
Note that shows etc. should be posted in the 'Events & Shows' section.
Ian
Info: 1962 Dormobile "Zuma"

My first trip in My Dormobile

Post by Ian » Sun May 27, 2012 7:00 am

I bought my Dormie online via Ebay, sight unseen. It was in Seattle and I live in Los Angeles - in the Hollywood Hills at the time. I exchanged a number of emails with the seller during the process and, having won the auction, arranged for him to pick me up at the airport and he would drive me to his house to pick up the truck. It was February, President's Day weekend, when I flew up on the Saturday morning to Seattle. I was waiting at the curb and the seller duly arrived in his Porsche. We shook hands and he pointed to the car and we got in and drove off. Not a word was spoken. Weird. It was only after a couple of miles that I realised that he was completely deaf and dumb. We arrived at his house and I found that his wife was similarly handicapped so all our conversations were via pencil and paper. The truck looked reasonably sound so I got in, started the engine and drove off. I had to be back in Los Angeles by Monday night to be back at work on Tuesday morning. That would be 1,200 miles and it is noon on Saturday................

The truck ran well and for a 1962 109" Dormie with a 2.25l 4 cylinder engine, it was actually quite a good cruiser so I made good time down through Washington State and then Oregon. The speedometer didn't work so I had to guess my speed but it seemed like I was doing 55mmph or thereabouts. I wasn't up to sleeping in my newly-acquired mobile accommodation so stayed Saturday night in a motel and made an early start on Sunday. The scenery south from Oregon is pretty awesome so the journey passed quickly. Arriving north of San Francisco, I became surrounded by a group of Hell's Angels on Harley Davidson motorcycles which was a little scary until they took a side exit. As I looked across, the leader gave me a little tip of the helmet in farewell. Pretty cool.

Sunday night south of San Francisco was a night to forget. Motel 6 is the cheapest motel chain in America. For a reason. Don't go there unless you really have to. On the Monday morning, the Dormie was a little reluctant to start but it fired up eventually and I headed down south. Just 450 miles to go. I got as far as Santa Barbara when disaster struck. Just 200 miles to home. I had stopped to fill up with petrol when the starter disintegrated. The bendix spring, the nut and washer fell inside the bellhousing and I didn't have a starting handle. Bummer. I called AAA and a tow truck arrived - one of those flat bed things where they haul you up on the bed at 45 degrees then tilt it so you are horizontal. Sneaky idea - I got him to haul me up the bed, let off the tow rope and I used it as a launch pad to jump start the engine. It almost worked - it started but the spring got caught in the flywheel and it jammed up solid. Double bummer. So I took advantage of the flatbed and had the Dormie driven the rest of the way home, arriving Monday night at 8pm. It took me a while but eventually I extracted all the bits from the bellhousing which left me free to go on my next adventure. More of that soon......... :wine:

Cheers,
Ian
RMS

Re: My first trip in My Dormobile

Post by RMS » Sun May 27, 2012 10:06 pm

That's a great tale, Ian.

Makes you wonder sometimes, why some folk only look locally for their vehicles.

Yes, it is a risk to buy unseen, but I've done that 3 times with no nasty shocks, though two of those had no MOT, road tax etc. (basically, not roadworthy) so had to be trailered anyway.

It's great to have enough confidence to buy from a great distance and drive it home, even if it actually arrived on the back of a breakdown truck - All hail to you :tiphat:

By the way, it wasn't the Motel 6 at Monterey on the coast road, was it - we stayed there one night a few years ago on a drive from LA to SF via Hearst Castle, it wasn't one of the best on that holiday :thud:

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)