Idea for removable cupboard that sits on bench seat frame

Any other discussions not to do with Classic Campers.
samc88

Idea for removable cupboard that sits on bench seat frame

Post by samc88 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:26 pm

Right, as some may know I have an88" station wagon with 2 full width bench seats in the back. On the weekend I needed the full load bay so tookthe cushion off one and ratchet strapped my toolbox on to the seat frame which got me thinking. I propose to fabricate a cupboard type unit which sits within the footprint of the seat frame and is easily removable so if I require the seat, ican simply unbolt it from the frame and tie the cushion back on.

The thinking with this is that its a lot quicker to swap things on and off the seat frame than it is to remove the frame itself (not to mention easier as I could do it single handed then.

Has anybody done anything similar? I'll do a couple of sketches tomorrow and putthem on here for basic ideas
RMS

Re: Idea for removable cupboard that sits on bench seat frame

Post by RMS » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:36 am

When I was thinking of converting a LWB before I 'got into' Carawagons, I had thought about removable cupboards/units.

I didn't get as far as actually designing anything, but I was thinking of using over-centre catches, like THESE rather than bolting them in.
Much easier then to remove the units, I think :cheers:

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
DrivingDutchman

Post by DrivingDutchman » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:37 am

I like the idea. I have just purchased a series 3 soft top with 2 benches in the back. Would be nice to have a removable cupboard type of storage for some supplies and maybe cooker for longer journeys.
Another idea is maybe give the unit foldable or slide out legs so one can use it outside of the landy in case you are somewhere you can't be close to the landy and still want to cook.
The idea of Robin to use over the centre catches is brilliant as you can handle the unit easy by yourself while taking it out or putting it in and is super fast, no tools required.

Michiel
1969 109 sw dormobile Dora
1996 overland defender sw 110 Nellie
1962 109 sw safari diesel Hannie (sold)
1973 88 series 3 soft top in various bits on the drive...
romanyrose
Info: romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:18 pm

G'day chaps, i was looking in one of my 109's the other day while Pete {navYboyz} took pictures of my home made battery compartment for two batteries, if he reads this he might put up the idea i came up with but using bonnet catches off the military stuff.

I had heard about these simply catches mentioned but had know idea where to buy them from :shrug: , with the ones i mentioned that were in a box marked bonnet catches :whistle: i looked no further and they did the job some 20 year's ago :embarassed: , sorry i just forgot but they have served well.

I guess it's ok if you have that type of stuff kicking about :wink: .

Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat:
gossamer

Post by gossamer » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:38 pm

http://www.paddockspares.com/miltary-an ... -pair.html

Here they are at Paddocks.

I bought some cheap Italian ones a while ago, they were rather disppointing and still a tenner each.
To infirmary and beyond!