White smoke?

Workshop and Technical tips & tricks.
Stricklen
Info: 109" US Carawagon

White smoke?

Post by Stricklen » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:07 pm

Hello all
I have a bit of white smoke after installing a fresh cylinder head on a 67 series 2a 109 2.25l diesel. What are some of the common factors for this? As a note the inject pump timing works best at the end of the slots so i expect I may have a stretched timing chain. It looked good but I don't think I can see that type of wear. The engine run well but I think it should not be emitting as much smoke as it does from what I see on the videos of other diesels.

Conditions:
new injectors, new glow plugs, rebuilt head, clean cylinder walls and good compression, no oil usage or blow-by

??
samc88

Re: White smoke?

Post by samc88 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:57 pm

White smoke is either the fuel pump timing or the head gasket. As you've changed the gasket Id be more inclined to look at the fuel pump.

Had similar with my 2.5 diesel chucking white smoke out, advanced the pump slightly and it worked much smoother and no more smoke
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Post by Jabbawocky » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:41 pm

Has the valve timing been set? The timing sprocket on the camshaft is infinitely variable and has to set every major service. Of course it is never done and that is why most 2 1/4 chug about at 45mph instead of 65mph. It needs to be set bang on and then the pump timing reset.
Your engine will be transformed. All info in the green bible or haynes.

Mick
Stricklen
Info: 109" US Carawagon

Post by Stricklen » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:26 pm

Thank you for the feed back.
It is safe to say the valve timing has not been set in some time. I found the truck and it had been sitting for about 18 years. I think I will replace the chain and sprockets with it is opened up again and set the timing just to be safe. It has a Casptan winch so it looks like I have a bit of work in front of me. Going through the winch was low on my list but now that it will be off?
Attachments
CAM00179.jpg
samc88

Post by samc88 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:03 pm

Leave the winch in place, take the grill and the radiator out. You have plenty of room then to work at the front of the engine.I did a timing belt swap on my 2.5 in this way and found there was more than enough room.