Dormobile roof colour

Workshop and Technical tips & tricks.
Gromit

Dormobile roof colour

Post by Gromit » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:21 am

Was the Dormobile roof always white ? Gelcoat rather than painted ?
On a mid 60's IIa you would end up with a Limestone roof with a white Dormobile top, is that correct ?

At some point the fibreglass on mine has had a paintover (with a yard broom by the look of things) so I need to strip it back and maybe repaint the fibreglass.

Colin
1956 Series I 86" hardtop
1960 Series II LWB ute (sold)
1965 Series IIa Dormobile
1970 Series IIa GS
1976 Series III SWB with Isuzu 2.4
1981 Series III FFR
1995 Defender Tanami
AlexB

Re: Dormobile roof colour

Post by AlexB » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:14 pm

I have taken a more pragmatic approach with my current, limestone, Dormobile, in that I have painted it all limestone.
Also, rather than gelcoat, the sills, under the wheel on teh bonnet , the roof and other areas have been painted in anti stone chip, prior to paint.

Looks great (imho) but perhaps not factory finish
jerryd
Info: "the pom down under"

Post by jerryd » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:50 pm

Not sure what colour my roof was originally, although the canopy looked like the australian sun had destroyed it over the years :shrug:
I didn't like the colour ''limestone'' so I got the paint suppliers to mix the paint to a shade that suited the marine blue.
On page 5 in this section is an article about my roof restoration, it took quite a while to do but was worth the effort.My only complaint about doing it was that the new canopy material didn't / wouldn't fit :banghead: so I refitted the old one.
Attachments
Dormobile Roof.jpg
Dormobile Roof.jpg (41.25 KiB) Viewed 4317 times
Gromit

Post by Gromit » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:43 am

Thanks Jerry & Alex,

I'd like to keep it fairly original so I'll stay with the limestone roof on the Land Rover, just trying to decide whether to eventually paint the Dormobile roof white or limestone. I'm guessing they weren't painted originally just left in the gelcoat which was probably white to suit any colour LR roof.....

Not looking forward to stripping the roof off but that is some time off yet. jerry, I remember reading about the problems with your new canopy. Fortunately mine just has a couple of holes on the corners.

Colin
1956 Series I 86" hardtop
1960 Series II LWB ute (sold)
1965 Series IIa Dormobile
1970 Series IIa GS
1976 Series III SWB with Isuzu 2.4
1981 Series III FFR
1995 Defender Tanami