Patience i have but

Workshop and Technical tips & tricks.
romanyrose
Info: romanyrose

Re: Patience i have but

Post by romanyrose » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:42 pm

G'day chaps, having slept like a log for a change it helped and i was outside at 09-30 :whistle: ready for action :laugh: well sort of anyway so i thought one job at a time and see why the volt meter was not working although i have a charging light that goes out and my avo shows a charge i had to investigate.

I dropped the fuse box away and took off the top part so i could see with my magnifying glass what i might have done wrong remembering for those that might read this that i have a lot of gadgets on my trucks i love tinkering and it's also a form of therapy for my poor old brain box.

Sat with a brew pretending i new what i was doing for the benefit of anyone watching i went through the fuse box stage by stage and to be honest it didn't take long with reading glasses on having put them safe so i could find them this time :wink: to my delight i had only put the feed to the volt meter on the wrong terminal that i had been aiming for :embarassed: .

My neighbor had given me an old pair of proper pliers that are used to push the soldered nipples all the way home so that part of the job is now done and the wing is ready go back on but that's a job for another day as the rain has stopped play which means i needed to pack up but at least i feel i am now getting there.

Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat:
Peaceand

Post by Peaceand » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:30 am

Good progress Brad! Sounds like you really are getting there now.

Patrick
  • Holly - 1972 Searle Carawagon Continental Ultimate (200 TDi)
  • Basil - 1969 Searle SWB (Prima TD)
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:53 am

G'day Patrick, yes i surely hope so even though the small jobs take me just as long i feel a sense of achievement which is what i seem to need a lot of these days rather than let other things bother me.

Hopefully i will get that wing on today which i am looking at outside from my bedroom window i can then get the wheels on and take her for a run before backing her in my yard so i can start fitting my pull out canopy and make provisions for the complete gas kit i have that will be fitted in the back.

I have a false floor the level of the wheel arches so the thick ply will be cut the shape of the gas tank at the front to house the tank so i can retain my level floor not just for me but my St Bernard to spread out on but it also houses my spares and spanners to stop them flying about.

All the above cost time no expensive draw systems just unwanted what some call junk from skips i rarely miss when passing however the job of fitting my canopy is playing on my mind but i guess once started everything will fall into place but with my add on's nothing is straight forward because i won't loose them just move them as everything i do is for a reason not just show.

Any how time is moving on and i am now supped up and ready for action all be it on the rather slow side :laugh: .

Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat: .
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:07 pm

G'day chaps, one of my pet hates is wires hanging every where in the engine bay so i cracked on double checking that everything front and back worked i fetched my tape that was in the house keeping warm and supple and began the slow process of binding my wiring looms that come and go to different parts of the engine bay.

I spend a lot of time stripping old car/van looms ending up with a variety of coverings but to be honest spending time at my local landrover garage Disco looms seem to use a lot of the ribbed stuff which i clean and store for jobs like today.

With the loom nice and tidy after the taping i then fit that ribbed plastic stuff as best i can to everything making sure the wires are bent to where they need to be i then start taping again to all the loom that i managed to get the ribbing on ending up with a nice tidy job and ready for clipping in place tomorrow with the above job taking most of the day darkness was upon me so regards the truck that's it.

Not wanting to call it a day it was time for a bit of wood working having been given some old metal drawers and more pallets so having taken down some shelving that was above a bench i made when i first moved there place this rather big cupboard full of drawers then measure up and start building a bench around these draws but unfortunately i had to call it a day but i look forward to filling these draws with some of my trinkets that are on the smaller side.

Cold tired very uncomfortable body wise but there is no gain without pain and i feel on top of the world thanks to my hobby :wink: waffle waffle yes maybe :shrug: but it is landrover related camper or work horse to be.

romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:25 pm

G'day chaps, that's about it chaps after a steadier day but consistent from what i can see that's about the wiring done as neat as i could without fitting a new one but then with my little extras a standard new one would have been no good to me.

I left the o/s outer skin of the wing off just in case i had any issues but like i mentioned to Robin the clips that hold the loom to the wing are held in place by small small nuts bolts and washers with what thread sticking through greased and screw some windscreen washer hose on to the protruding part of the bolt which stops rust and making it easy to unscrew at a later date if need be.

While testing the heater fan i have noticed a vibration that's quite noisy so i might have to whip the outer wing off the n/s to get an idea of what is happening having doubled up the series three matrix's means the blower piping is slightly different with the inner wing altered a tad unless i caught the blades on the blower motor when fitting :shrug: .

Janie my lass has sent Robin some pictures of my engine bay and what i have been talking about over the past few weeks so i hope you like them also with giving a sort of commentary of my work as i go along has believe it or not helped me immensely so thanks for reading and sorry if i annoyed anyone but the commentary on fitting the canopy is yet to come along with what i find what the vibration is on my heater blower :whistle: .

RMS

Post by RMS » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:24 pm

Some pictures from Brad :cheers:

1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:29 pm

G'day chaps, thanks for that Robin :cheers: i am afraid it is one job on the computer that just baffles me but some thing might click one day like it normally does with me but until then i have to rely on others but now at least others can see to get a better idea what i have been waffling on about.

The outer skin of the o/s wing is now on and bolted up tight but progress was really slow today and by the time i finished it was dark turned quite cold and started to rain but at lease tomorrow i can check all the steering for tightness and split pins etc before putting the wheels back on but that's another day and i need some rest before then.

romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:59 pm

G'day,well that is another night of planning gone and i am sorry to say i am here again with what i have achieved today apart from panicking my neighbors with steam everywhere when all i was doing was bleeding the water system having got an air lock in my doubled up heater matrix on the series three bulkhead :whistle: .

Out of the corner of my steamed up glasses i noticed a neighbor peering from behind his blinds so with my wicked sense of humour i shouted DON'T WORRY MATEY I AM ONLY STEAM CLEANING MY ENGINE USING THE WATER FROM MY RADIATOR :aaagh: well if looks could kill i should be lying in the gutter :laugh: .

Anyway if anyone remembers i made a mistake and put blue loo disinfectant in my radiator instead of anti freeze so i managed to drain that out and flush the system :roll: the proceeded to fill with antifreeze mix this time bled up and done.

While testing the heater it appears i have not tightened the fan motor enough or the fan is not balanced well so i guess it is off with the n/s outer wing to check what has gone wrong but if you just touch it if your hand the drumming noise stops but that's not good enough so will have to be rectified but that's another day.

romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:16 pm

Yes well today is Friday and i am stuck after having been working on the fitting of relays to my rather large horns and my electric fan that goes through one of those temperature censors to turn it on at a certain temp or on the other hand being able to turn it on if i need to has really got me baffled :stars: even the relay for the horn that share the same constant feed :shrug: i feel lost.

From what i can gather the horn that has a constant live along with a switched live the earth seems to have an issue which is the button on the dip switch or have i got that wrong :shrug: .

Reading manuals is no good because i have problems understanding written words so i either work by pictures in what i draw myself or by talking to others which to be honest has just happened when Martin phoned so i proceeded to tell him what i wanted to do and how it would work but understand what i have just told him not a chance :banghead: .

I will sleep on it tonight and hopefully the filing system in my head will have sorted it out because before the steering column was replaced everything worked as it should using the relays for the horn and the fan so it came on when the engine temp wanted it to but then maybe it is time to rest my weary head :thud: .

romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:45 pm

G'day chaps, today i have managed a step further and now have a constant feed to the thermo coupling then to the fan also i have a switched feed via the relay to the cooling fan so i have cracked that part even though it is simple my brain can confuse any issue if it so desires :banghead: .

With that job cracked it was down to the horn relay :stars: set in again then my helper Jonny arrived so i thought it would be time to move a few engines around of course with him doing the moving so i can crack on with fitting sides to my lean to that will help shelter my larger trinkets but the wind started howling and then rain so that was the end of that :thud: .

After a brew and :eatin: i decided the pallets i had been given needed to be moved so late afternoon and night time till now was bench building time again having been given some lovely metal draws i built around them and also lifted up my pillar drill by building a higher stronger stand so i can at least see the small drills in the chuck rather than bending and my glasses falling off :whistle: .

This is not maybe a lot to some but i am slow and enjoy ever minute even though i get lost and forget it's great when one remembers Oh! and by the way i test drove my truck and it is much better to drive but will be better when i tighten the front wheel nuts up before going for a short trundle round my estate :embarassed: .