Roof catches, 40 years on and they are still available

Workshop and Technical tips & tricks.
chippit

Roof catches, 40 years on and they are still available

Post by chippit » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:54 pm

protex carawagon roof catches
protex carawagon roof catches
Hi,
just in case anyone is wondering what to do about roof catches, I found that once I had blasted all the rust and paint off my old catches I found the name Protex stamped on them. I googled and found that they are still available. I managed to work out which ones I needed and ordered a set for my next carawagon roof project. I also needed one more for the back centre of my 1975 carawagon just to pull the roof down and seal it all nicely. A bit of bending and welding needed to adapt the 4 that have the angle welded to them (2 on right hand side) and the top plate (top left hand side) needs bending to fit the curve of the ridge. Really pleased to have found the correct ones, it is also good to know that there are still good quality fasteners available. http://www.protex.com

Part numbers available if required

Regards Christine
Stricklen
Info: 109" US Carawagon

Re: Roof catches, 40 years on and they are still available

Post by Stricklen » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:08 pm

I would like to get the part numbers if possible. I am starting to restore my top and I have a few parts missing. I noticed the L bracket clamp on your photos was that stock or did you make it? I would assume it help keeps the wind out on the road. Any details on your restoration would be greatly appreciated!

Richard
Attachments
20161202_095818.jpg
gossamer

Post by gossamer » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:24 pm

To infirmary and beyond!
chippit

Post by chippit » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:49 pm

Hi Richard,

If you have a look at the post about carawagon roof and seals there are three pictures of the roof I have restored, this is from a genuine 1975 carawagon, the roof catches that you can see (painted silver) are the originals.
As with all carawagons the design is so simple, made from materials which were (and still are) readily available. I think as the design of the roof evolved slightly over the years slight changes were made to the type of rubber seals used and clamping methods for keeping the roof down. I have a much earlier carawagon roof from a 1968 carawagon conversion and the seals are quite different, it does not have the long pieces of bent angle that are welded to the over centre catches.

I will look to see if I have the part numbers for the catches I ordered from protex

Regards Christine

P.S I like the landrover badge routed into the plywood, good luck with your project, what age is it?
Stricklen
Info: 109" US Carawagon

Post by Stricklen » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:16 pm

Hi Christine
I got my hands on a 1967 series 2a 109" with the 2.25L diesel. I did not know it was a Carawagon until I picked it up. What a bonus.
The kids are looking forward to sleeping in it as after I get it back together.

Sincerely Richard
Attachments
CAM00336.jpg
CAM00187.jpg
AlexB

Post by AlexB » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:37 pm

These are the ones that Dormobile sell (at twice the price)

Might be worth a look at the other stuff they sell

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361844304690? ... EBIDX%3AIT
Calum

Post by Calum » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:51 pm

I bought new catches too. I had a spare one in the back of the vehicle when I stripped it, but found that Protex offer them in stainless steel now so I opted for those - they should outlast me! :cheers:
RobW

Post by RobW » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:32 pm

What size are they? Will need a few for the Dormobile roof.