Photos of our old Series 3 Dormobile

Anything about Classic Land Rover Campers
Dieselhen

Photos of our old Series 3 Dormobile

Post by Dieselhen » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:24 pm

In the interests of archiving on line photos of old campers I raked out what prints I could find of our original Land Rover Dormobile and scanned them. The previous owner took her from Essex across Africa to Capetown and back via the Sahara. We contented ourselves with the UK - husband was a marine engineer travelling all over the world, originally with tankers, then with ocean salvage tugs, so really didn't want holidays abroad. Sadly I had to scrap that Dormobile a couple of years ago, after his death; equally sadly, by the time I brought the blue Dormobile down from Elgin, he was too unwell to be able to go anywhere in it. So, here we are:
1) In Lochgilphead, 1984 or 85. When we came back there was another Land Rover Dormobile, identical to ours but minus the roofrack, parked a few spaces down from ours - we hung around for a bit to see if we could meet the owners, but they didn't re-appear and we had to move on.
1) In Lochgilphead, 1984 or 85. When we came back there was another Land Rover Dormobile, identical to ours but minus the roofrack, parked a few spaces down from ours - we hung around for a bit to see if we could meet the owners, but they didn't re-appear and we had to move on.
Lochgilphead_front.jpg (284.14 KiB) Viewed 4665 times
2) the other Dormobile from rear
2) the other Dormobile from rear
Lochgilphead_rear.jpg (303.22 KiB) Viewed 4665 times
3) My Mum was wielding her camera & we wanted to get on the road - Aberdeen to Inverness!
3) My Mum was wielding her camera & we wanted to get on the road - Aberdeen to Inverness!
ready_to_go.jpg (281.17 KiB) Viewed 4665 times
4) Somewhere in the hills above Comrie
4) Somewhere in the hills above Comrie
near_Comrie.jpg (192.33 KiB) Viewed 4665 times
5) As No.4, in the rain
5) As No.4, in the rain
near_Comrie_2.jpg (259.1 KiB) Viewed 4665 times
6) Can't remember if this was Glen Coe or Glen Etive
6) Can't remember if this was Glen Coe or Glen Etive
glencoe_or_glenetive_01.jpg (290.61 KiB) Viewed 4665 times
6) Similar to No.5 but closer
6) Similar to No.5 but closer
glencoe_or_glenetive_02.jpg (320.68 KiB) Viewed 4665 times
7) On the Kintyre coast near Glen Barr
7) On the Kintyre coast near Glen Barr
Kintyre.jpg (348.32 KiB) Viewed 4665 times
romanyrose
Info: romanyrose

Re: Photos of our old Series 3 Dormobile

Post by romanyrose » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:09 pm

G'day matey, a sad story but what fantastic pictures so i thank you for sharing. Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat:
Dieselhen

Post by Dieselhen » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:38 pm

Thank you for complimenting. Yeah, things don't always work out quite like you plan them :shakehead: Still, we had some great times with that Dormobile and our daughters still talk about island-hopping expeditions.
I enjoy reading your posts on the work you're doing on your beastie and really admire how you're getting on with it a bit at a time.
Cheers, Sheila
romanyrose
Info: romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:39 pm

G'day Sheila, it's words like yours that inspire me to crack on rather than give up so that i am grateful for and i do feel i am on the last leg before being satisfied and i can at least use it as my work horse to gather my trinkets that are scattered all over the bottom half of this country anyway :whistle: .

Apart from building a breakdown truck which will be a long term tinker/build my 109 camper is next in line for finishing which was well on the way to being finished till my late father became ill then sadly passed away so it sort of got put to the back of the queue and a rather long one at that but i will get there one day an that's all that matters to me anyway.

I had better stop waffling :embarassed: what with being able to talk the hind legs of a donkey about my hobby and being at ease with nature i sometime get on peoples nerves :laugh: .

Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat: