P38 Power Steering Conversion

Workshop and Technical tips & tricks.
jerryd
Info: "the pom down under"

P38 Power Steering Conversion

Post by jerryd » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:41 pm

Does anybody know of the correct list of parts to fit this set up to Series 3 Land Rover ?? I've been searching various forums etc. but cannot find any info about anybody who has successfully installed this set up.

Thanks in advance :cheers:
RMS

Re: P38 Power Steering Conversion

Post by RMS » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:16 am

Hi Jerry,

I, too, will be fitting a P38 box to one of my projects, when I get somewhere under cover to work :whistle:

I already have the parts I think I need:
P38 box with steering arm
Power steering pump (already on my 300TDi engine)
Pipework and reservoir (from a Disco doner vehicle)
Defender steering column
P38 lower steering column shaft with UJs

You will need a Defender or similar steering column as once you remove the Series steering box there is no lower bearing for the column, unless you fabricate something.

You will also need some 8-10mm steel plate to make the mounting plate for the side of the chassis rail, and of course, some high tensile bolts & nuts.

I think, though not sure, you can use the steering rod from the P38, either the extension section from the drag link from a Disco, or, depending on your rules and regs over there, you could cut and sleeve a Series steering rod (or have it done professionally if needed for regs) :shrug:

There's a bit of a write-up on TerriAnn's site HERE though that is for a LHD setup.

Let us know how you get on :cheers:

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
jerryd
Info: "the pom down under"

Re: P38 Power Steering Conversion

Post by jerryd » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:42 pm

Thanks Robin, I've got most parts needed to do the conversion, I just thought it would be good to read somebodies experience / advice to make sure I'm doing things correctly :stars:
I sourced an early defender column which my original steering wheel fits, I'm just waiting for the range rover linkage as the defender item doesn't fit the P38 box. I'm hoping that the range rover item connects to the defender item !! I'll use the pump as fitted to the diesel motor and some of the P38 box pipework looks like it might be the right shape to work. The drag link might be the interesting part to do. Will keep you informed of any hiccups I might run into :cheers: