thinking outside the milk crate

Workshop and Technical tips & tricks.
w3526602
Info: (That's my old RAF number)

thinking outside the milk crate

Post by w3526602 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:18 pm

Hi,

SWMBO has been told she needs a couple of new knees. In order to get onto the passenger seat, she needs to stand on a cut-down milk-crate, hitch her bum onto the cushion, and twist to get her feet in, Everything is on the limit ... the crate ought to be higher so she can reach the cushion easily, but her knees prevent her from climbing onto a crate any higher than the present one. She refuses to use two crates of differing heights.

I had briefly considered running a screw-jack down the B-post, beside the seat squab... there might be room - or might not ... with the screw projecting downwards. Add a step projecting forwards under the floor, but can be swung out for her to stand on. Small electric motor to turn the screw. Button to press to activate the motor, lift the step up and down. Maybe worth a bit more thought?

But I have noticed that The Aunt has a fuel-tank front out-rigger, for a left hand fuel tank. I do not remember asking Richards for that. ???

There is a space under the passenger side floor, between the tank out-rigger and the front tub out-rigger, about 15" front to rear, 12" from bottom of door to chassis, and about 6" high without getting obtrusive.

Hmmm ... what I need is a folding ladder that can be pulled out like a drawer, opened up to give two steps, one 6" and the other 12" from the ground, with nothing touching the ground ... sort of Z-shaped cantilever. Clunk - clunk - slide in - drive away. Probably not too difficult to make ... until you think about the need for it to be very rigid when being jumped on.

I'd welcome any brainstorming.

romanyrose
Info: romanyrose

Re: thinking outside the milk crate

Post by romanyrose » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:31 am

G'day John, i have a chair i sit on in my garage but can be used as a small two step ladder, the two steps when opened can be stood on by me then when your lass is in you just lift the step up and it folds under the chair very much like a canter leaver toolbox that folds away,by the way it's tubular steel

I have a good idea this will work so when i can get my lass to put up some pictures it might give you some idea's or you just have this chair to help you work out this situation.

How is Barbara getting on with the trike?.

Catch you later. Brad :tiphat:
w3526602

Post by w3526602 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:11 am

How is Barbara getting on with the trike?

Hi Brad,

I regret to say she isn't. She is unable to lift her foot over the cross-bar. I know that sounds silly, but it's true. An 8" stair step is about her limit.

She has started taking tablets that are supposed to rebuild lost cartilage between the bones. Probably "snake oil", but when you're desperate ... She says they are helping her, and I agree that she can walk further than she could a few months ago. They have had little or no effect on MY knees. We'll give it a few months, but I can foresee us returning the trike to you.

A few years ago, she had one of those folding plastic steps to get into my S2TD. I cobbled up an aluminium "map pocket", big enough to hold the folded step. and pop-riveted it to the side of the seat box ... there is a couple of inch wide gap between the seat box and door.

romanyrose
Info: romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:49 pm

G'day John, Janie has taken some pictures of this chair come folding steps but has retired to her slumber and if she has a good night it might be worth a look tomorrow :shrug: .

Catch you later Brad :tiphat:
woollen797

Post by woollen797 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:57 am

There is a lad round our way running a 109 and his other half uses a 2 step ladder to get into it.
Dormy
Info: Sleeping on the job.....Zzzzzz

Post by Dormy » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:52 pm

We use one of these : - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-STEP-TALL-F ... Swv-NWYE~c

Cheap to buy but very strong plastic (much stronger than the usual single step type). Just the right height for the side door but tall enough to gets us in/out of the back door too when camped.

Might do short term while you sort a permanent built in solution ?

Ian
w3526602

Post by w3526602 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:59 am

Hi All,

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions.

Unfortunately, my SWMBO suffers more than one restriction to her agility, ranging from a life long movement problem that she has always denied is a disability, to age (rising 75) related reductions in agility and balance, and the effects of a nasty fall about 18 months ago making her nervous about doing an encore.

She can get into the drivers seat of her car, without too much difficulty, albeit slowly. Getting into the passenger seat of her car can sometimes be a problem ... probably not much easier than getting into my Landy, apart from the milk-crate. Low lying sports cars are "out", though she did take a Ferrari and an Aston Martin round Silverstone for her 70th birthday. I doubt that she could get onto a bus, and if she did, and managed to sit down, she might need assistance to get up again ... which she will not ask for.

I'm still pondering on screw-jack behind the passenger seat, battery powered, to lift a step lying below the door sill, that can be lowered, then swung out for her to stand on, and be lifted. "Officer's Ladies" don't climb into their limosines .... they reverse up to door, sit down, and then swivel to face the front ... keeping their knees together. :whistle:

If my Landy had a rear fuel tank, I might consider removing the seat-box, and laying a flat floor, and fitting a height adjustable seat ... possibly one from a camper, that swivels. Too late now ... I asked Richards for a 1958 replica chassis, so no provision/room for a rear tank. Maybe just remove half the seat box?

Hmm! Interesting thought! The tool box under the passenger seat is "notched" to clear the chassis, where it rises to go over the axle. But on a109", the chassis does not rise until after the back of seat-box, so there is no need for that notch. ???

w3526602

Post by w3526602 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:31 am

Hi,

See attached sketch of jus one embryonic idea for a motorised side step.
There seems to be enough room to squeeze a length of box section alongside/behind the passenger seat squab, but failing that, the telecope could go behind the tub bulkhead. ... it could even fit inside the underseat tool box, but lack of headroom would restrict rise and fall, unless it had a double screw action.

It would need a stress job to check the cantilever strength, but in the 1970s I had a cheapo jib crane, (£8) SWL 8cwt (say 400kg), with a 3ft arm. The arm consisted of two lengths of 2" x 1" x 1/8" thick RHS box section. I used it to lift the engine out of an Austin Champ, and replace it with a BMC LD 2.2 diesel. I must have been crazy.

More pondering needed.

Attachments
LRS2 MOTORISED SIDE STEP.jpg
LRS2 MOTORISED SIDE STEP.jpg (30.43 KiB) Viewed 8490 times
Dormy
Info: Sleeping on the job.....Zzzzzz

Post by Dormy » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:07 pm

How about a caravan jockey wheel leg ?

http://www.leisure-mart.co.uk/shop/Vpro ... As_88P8HAQ

Replace the wheel with your step and rig up an electric motor to turn the screw. About the cheapest and simplest solution I can think of.

Ian
w3526602

Post by w3526602 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:46 am

Hi Ian,

I had considered jockey wheels for my POD jacks, but discarded due to limited lift. They briefly crossed my mind for the sides step, instantly discarded for same reason.

But I clicked on your link, and scrolled down past the jockey wheel, to the jockey wheel clamps.

Hmmm! Cobble in a support bar between the outriggers ... use a clamp (or even a clamp above and below the support bar to prevent twisting ... needs thinking through) and there may be enough room in the tool box, and the motor too).

Caravaners are use cordless drills to lower their corner steadies. I was thinking about a motor from an electric bicycle .... probably over-kill.

Thanks for the nudge. Back to the drawing board.