Dormobile Chassis

Any other discussions not to do with Classic Campers.
martyn

Dormobile Chassis

Post by martyn » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:54 am

After a delay of a few years I am finally starting my 1967 Dormobile restoration. It really needs to go on a new chassis so I am getting one from Richards Chassis very soon. However, they have asked me for pictures of my current chassis so they can see if it is different to standard. I always thought that the Dormobile was built on a standard 109 chassis; can anyone confirm this for me before I order mine? Thanks for your help, Martyn.
image.jpeg
Troika

Re: Dormobile Chassis

Post by Troika » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:28 am

Dormobiles were built on export model SW chassis, when I ordered from Richards I ended up with a generic incorrect one with drop down tailgate brackets on rear crossmember, a number of other incorrect items, not least engine brackets were 1 inch higher than they should have been on one side :cry: .
It sat at garage for six months before I noticed, so too late to complain, but if close enough to fabricator worth viewing before galvanising as I think they will accomodate to avoid later screw-ups.
martyn

Post by martyn » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:36 am

Thanks very much for that information, just what I needed. I must admit, I have heard a couple of things about Richards Chassis but there no longer seems to be an alternative. Good to get a heads up so I can try to keep on top of them whilst they build it!
AlexB

Post by AlexB » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:29 am

Richards are a good firm. Human though !

I also ended up with the tailgate hinge brackets on my (3rd) Dormobile, despite pointing out the error to Alastair when I was sorting other mods (6 pot engine position, lt77 cross member and power steering brackets).

Looks like another rust bucket has been saved. Well done

Do you have all the interior ?

Where are you located ?
martyn

Post by martyn » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:59 am

Fortunately it is fairly complete. Has the Dormatic seats, bunks and table but lacks any furniture such as wardrobes or sink unit. I should be able to sort something out though even if I have to make my own stuff. Incidentally I am based in Shropshire.