Another "dormobile" down under

Please post items for sale or wanted here. Land Rover or items specific to camping only.
jerryd
Info: "the pom down under"

Another "dormobile" down under

Post by jerryd » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:56 pm

I recently stumbled across a dormobile in a paddock while looking at an ebay ad for another item for sale. It could be clearly seen in the background in one of the pics. I rang the guy about it but he wasn't very polite and said he didn't know what it was, it was used as a farm hack and was certainly not for sale , ......."should be enquiring about the item for sale .... off" attitude :shrug:

It would seem he's either discovered what it is or already sold it on to someone else as it now appears on ebay. It's very cheap at the moment too. Anybody interested ??

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Land-Rover-D ... 231c4bb0ae" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RMS

Re: Another "dormobile" down under

Post by RMS » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:43 pm

Now that is very cheap - at the moment!!

It's always interesting to see variants overseas - makes you wonder how much it would have cost to ship these vehicles over in the 60s/70s?

Thanks for flagging that one up - it all adds interest :cheers:

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
overlander
Info: Carawagon Junkie

Post by overlander » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:33 pm

More than likely driven overland in those days Robin, one dream I never realised.....driving to India, shipping to Fremantle and crossing Oz.

cheers

John H
RMS

Post by RMS » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:59 pm

Then again John, when we emigrated there in 1963, my dad had his VW Beetle shipped with us - so perhaps it wasn't such an unusual thing to do?

Those were the days - none of these 24 hour flights - we did it the hard (but much nicer) way - 6 weeks on a ship, through the Suez Canal, not that I remember much, being only 4 at the time!
Folk would pay a fortune now for a 6 week cruise :wink:

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
overlander

Post by overlander » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:10 am

Yes you're right Robin, it would have been a pretty bumpy ride in the back of a VW Beetle back in those days - I know from an long, off road journey I once had to make in one - so better to ship it I guess. Co-incidentally I had my old Merc 190 shipped out to Aden in 1963, it accompanied me in the PO boat the Chitral. Later in the 70's many of the overland companies I worked for travelled to India via Katmandu and then shipped from Chennai (formerly Madras) to Fremantle whilst I messed about in Africa.

Now if I was 2 years younger, sorry make that 42, I'd be seriously thinking about that Dormobile so that I could make the dream trip round and across Oz - might be a tad expensive though - I know that many vehicles in Oz were retro fitted with the 6 cyl 3 litre Holden engine but this one's described as a 6 litre - wow - or is it a typo?

cheers

John H
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Post by Jabbawocky » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:53 pm

HI all

That looks a great truck. The chap really knows his stuff, I quote;
the ultimate Land Rover expedition vehicle
he is so right. :bow:

John.

You just want to go to OZ to burn bread a Dutch Oven, so you can say you've done the same stuff as your mate Ray.

Mick
overlander

Post by overlander » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:40 pm

How did you know Mick- I just tried baking a loaf in my cobbled up Dutch Oven - a copper pot with an upturned lid on it to hold the coals. Like my old mucker Ray, I over did it a bit and had to cut at least an inch of the bottom! But it will supplement my charcoal supply next time we camp! Not sure whether it's going to catch on anyway - 97p for the bread mix, 10 mins prep, 40 mins for it to rise and 30 mins to bake - I can get the real thing from my local LIDL freshly baked for 79p!

cheers

Old Age Traveller but still pullin' - the Rapido that is.
Attachments
Bread.JPG
overlander

Post by overlander » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:42 pm

Yeah Mick and did you see all the other mistakes of fact in his ad :wink:

ex Ruff, Tuff Desert Driver
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Post by Jabbawocky » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:16 pm

HI John
How did you know Mick
Because you told me!

What ad? I saw Ray and the Bush tucker man the other night on BBC3/4.

As for the economics, imagine fresh bread to go with the fried breakfast and cold beer in the Sahara.

Bread baking contest are Driffield, I think? Might be a disaster, but the smell will certainly get the punters interested in our display! Moroccan bread to go with the Tagine. Where's that big lady from the village when you need her?

Cheers Mick