Dormobile bunks - max load?

Anything about Classic Land Rover Campers
dreamin
Info: Dora the Explorer - 1971 6 pot Dormobile

Dormobile bunks - max load?

Post by dreamin » Wed May 15, 2013 2:23 pm

My kids love camping in the fold-out roof bunks in our Dormobile - so far I have only slept 'downstairs'.

Is there any recommended weight limit for the upper bunks? Canvas and frame in good condition.

Thanks

Roger
DanC

Re: Dormobile bunks - max load?

Post by DanC » Wed May 15, 2013 8:37 pm

I have tested mine although not slept in it!!! Anyway I am 6ft and weigh somewhere around 13-14 stone.. cough.. cough, and I felt perfectly safe in the original 51 year old bunks. Jeremy sleeps upstairs in his I think?
'The Wagon' 1962 Martin Walters Dormobile, 2.25 Petrol
'Bessy' 1965 2.25 88" diesel
'Daisy' 1958 2.25 88" diesel
jerryd
Info: "the pom down under"

Post by jerryd » Wed May 15, 2013 10:33 pm

Hi Roger,
My original bunks were very fragile / perished from being exposed to the australian sun too long I think , I found out the hard way when I jumped up and fell through :laugh: I purchased a new set from "Dormobile" and apart from being a bit baggier than the originals they give a reasonably good night's sleep. In fact I find them more comfy than the lower beds, especially if you suffer from an aching back.

I'm not sure what the maximum load would be though, I weigh around the 80 kilos mark and haven't had any problems. I did find four broken rivets at the front of the roof on both sides when I recently restored my roof, could be worth checking as they were near the front of the bunk frames.
RobW

Post by RobW » Thu May 16, 2013 9:39 am

Suspect the lying weight (distributed) and kneeling/sitting weight (getting up/down) may differ due to the concentration of forces. So you may be OK sleeping in it, but fall through when trying to climb out.
Given the Dorma bunks are only about 6ft long I'll not bother testing them - too much hassle cutting a hole in the end for my feet.....
dreamin

Post by dreamin » Thu May 16, 2013 3:15 pm

Thanks for the replies

Will give it a try

R
Dormy
Info: Sleeping on the job.....Zzzzzz

Post by Dormy » Fri May 17, 2013 9:45 pm

30yrs ago a friend and I slept often in the bunks on weekend trips with the S(Scottish)LROC, but I weighed just under 11 stone (70kg) then !

Nowadays the bunks are mostly used for SWMBO's excess luggage though occasionally our 8yr old grandson does sleep up there.

Dormy
Ian
Info: 1962 Dormobile "Zuma"

Post by Ian » Fri May 24, 2013 4:05 am

I sleep in one of my bunks and weigh 13st. I don't feel that the bunk is overstressed :whistle: but I do have a new cover on them. Much more comfortable than the downstairs beds!

Ian
DanC

Post by DanC » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:55 am

Amendment to this!

Last weekend, myself and Karen slept up in the bunks rather than downstairs. I am 6ft and 14 stone (89KG) and had the most comfortable nights sleep compared to normal!! Frankly there is no looking back, it is upstairs for me every time (with no kids this is easy). The downstairs bed has its uses, stealth camping, visitors etc, but upstairs really is good for your back. I am sleeping on the original 51 year old bunks, luckily they have always been out of the sun and used infrequently so have survived the ravages of time very well. The other plus side was being able to easily close the vent when I was bloomin cold at 4 in the morning!
'The Wagon' 1962 Martin Walters Dormobile, 2.25 Petrol
'Bessy' 1965 2.25 88" diesel
'Daisy' 1958 2.25 88" diesel
dreamin

Post by dreamin » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:22 am

Thanks for the update - will definitely give it a go

Cheers

Roger
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Post by Jabbawocky » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:04 pm

No idea of max weight of bunks as we made our own from some stuff from the local fent shop. We only ever intended the bunks for William and he is only 6, so will do him for a few more years yet.

As for the bed downstairs, we love it, but we do have a 30mm self inflating mattress on top of the seats. The bed is super comfortable and the only bad sleeps we had on our 26 day trip to Morocco, were in the hotels. The only downside is storing the self inflating mattress, but it does fit in with all the rest of our bedding in the top box.

Someone once said,"any fool can be uncomfortable" not us. The top box may slow us down and cost mpg, but at least we are comfortable when we get there. :cheers:

Mick