How much water?

Anything about Classic Land Rover Campers
RMS

How much water?

Post by RMS » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:14 pm

Hi guys,

Following on from a post one of our members made on another forum, I thought it might be interesting to find out how much water others use on, say, a weekend away in their camper?

Personally, although I've got a 10 (or 15?) litre container under my sink, I tend to use two litre pop bottles rather than the sink tap.
That's mainly because when we're away for shows etc., we tend to join the Carawagons up with tarps on the awning poles and 'live' outside rather than in the 'wagons.
The pop bottles are easier to access as I stand them in a space next to the fridge so I can get to them through the back door rather than climbing in and pumping away at the sink tap.

I use the water for a couple of early morning coffees, a bit of cooking, hot water bottle on a cold night and washing up.
Washing up is shared (though it's usually Steve who initiates it and heats up his water :bow: ), but the water used is the minimum needed, perhaps a couple of litres at most and we tend to wash up once a day.

I use wet wipes for personal washing as I hate to wash in cold water and I can't be bothered to wait for the water to heat up, though others use the water from their hot water bottles which is often still warm in the morning.

So, I reckon I use about 3 to 4 litres a day at most, including washing up!

I was toying with the idea of fitting a jerry can holder on the back door, horizontally, and use a plastic jerry can with tap so it's handy when living outside. At that rate, a 20 litre jerry can would last me 5 days :gold:

Of course, our usual afternoon and evening rehydration medium (pear cider :whistle: ) means we don't use much water for coffee/tea etc. so others might use more water for drinks.

So, how much water do you think you need, and is it worth fitting underbody water tanks?

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
dudley

Re: How much water?

Post by dudley » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:37 pm

hi

i am lucky that my carawagon still
has the 3 plastic water containers
under the sink.

at our last show(the overland show)
which lasted 4 days,i filled 2 containers
and had a little left at the end.

that was for washing in the morning,
tea and coffee,and washing the dishes.
so 3 should last me almost a week.

regards

phillip
1971 2a 109 diesel station wagon

1971 2a 109 petrol carawagon

And others
Dormy
Info: Sleeping on the job.....Zzzzzz

Post by Dormy » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:24 pm

We have a 23ltr carrier, but it is for all our fresh water usage. Generally lasts us a couple of days.

I have added a folding tap to the sink and a connection to the outside of Dormy which fits the caravan pump so just press a floor switch for water.
romanyrose
Info: romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:18 pm

G'day Robin, although my camper is far from a standard type I have a 3gallon container sat on an alloy ledge above the rear lights strapped to the back body held in place with what would have been the straps for the front wheel mounting on my ffr including the clips that they thread through off the bonnet.

Because the mounting is fixed so the water container sits behind my rear ladder I can get a jerry can with a tap fitted behind not a problem having said that it is not called a jerry can just the same size and shape if that helps as for longer stays I use a round water container ''roll'' that I fill before I set off but that's another story.

On my ffr the rear compartment on the outside for jerry can storage was used for a water tank but rust ate the metal bottom which I have yet to fix but this time with alloy.

Just the views of a silly old fool who liked to be at ease with nature :wine: :cactus: .

Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat: .
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Post by Jabbawocky » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:04 pm

Hi Robin

we have used the Dormobile for over 4 years now and I think your 3L-4L per person per day is about right. This reduces when using facilities on campsites for washing and also when water could be hard to find.

The Dormobile has a 10L container in the upper water rack and should have another 10L container in the bottom rack, but when I made the wardrobe, I altered the design to take a 20L NATO water Jerry Can. I normally have this half full, but fill it up when going wild camping.

Cheers Mick