Carawagon Front toolbox

Anything about Classic Land Rover Campers
AntMan232

Carawagon Front toolbox

Post by AntMan232 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:06 pm

Hi,

Mounted on the front bumper of the Dormobile I am buying, is a toolbox, believed to be from a Carawagon (photo attached). I think it looks like a very useful bit of storage to have, but I could find very little reference to them. I found one picture, with associated mention, of such a toolbox, at the top of this page http://www.88inchcarawagons.co.uk/register.html.

This one looks identical, so presumably it was some sort of optional extra, or later addition (or priceless, super rare relic :neener: ), but i was wondering whether there were many about? It's purely just for my own interest, as I hadn't seen one before this vehicle, and thought they were the sort of useful mod that people might have done.

Thanks,

Ant
Attachments
Copy of DSCF1752.jpg
1965 Series 2A Dormobile
AlexB

Re: Carawagon Front toolbox

Post by AlexB » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:27 am

Not sure about where and what, but reasonably certain that Robin had a tool box on the front bumper . It did affect cooling of the tdi in very hot weather though.

Have I missed a thread on your Dormobile?

Would love to see pictures of it
AntMan232

Post by AntMan232 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:27 pm

Nah, haven't put one up yet. As soon as I can arrange some transport (basically, 2 weeks time, when my friend comes back from france), i'm going down to buy it, and bring it home. Thought i'd wait until I have it back here, and can take some decent pictures... (slightly overgrown atm). :gold:
1965 Series 2A Dormobile
Peaceand

Post by Peaceand » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:59 pm

Looks just like a Carawagon front box to me - probably had jerry can holder on eitherside too, against the font of the wings. Looking at those extra lights on top of the wings, and the bolt holes and marks on the bumper. Plus the D rings mounted on the front of the bumper, which I've seen before on Carawagons with front boxes.

Are there any other odd features?

(If you want rid of the box then let me know...)

Cheers,
Patrick
  • Holly - 1972 Searle Carawagon Continental Ultimate (200 TDi)
  • Basil - 1969 Searle SWB (Prima TD)
Stuey

Post by Stuey » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:19 pm

AFAIK there were 2 different toolboxes fitted to Carawagons of the time, one style for the lights in the wings and the other style for those with lights in the grille (which you have).

The main reason for the change was due to the fact that the jerrican holders laid down in front of the wings and when the lights moved to the wings the jerricans had to move elsewhere, that elsewhere being the recess inbetween the wings ; thus the toolbox got smaller, and so did the airflow to the radiator.

However with your motor there, with those side / indicator lights moved too, would suggest to me that they would have had the Dormobile style jerrican holders (which I think were Land Rover optional extra's) as opposed to the Carawagon style jerrican holders. So if a PO fitted that toolbox from an old Carawagon, that in turn would have left a gap, in which it looks like they have utilised it for some spot lights.
Not everything has to be big!

www.88inchcarawagons.co.uk
AntMan232

Post by AntMan232 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:21 pm

Yes, this was (and will be, probably) fitted with jerry can holders; I have one of them, which needs some repair. The box will be staying, as storage is always at a premium in a camper, and I think it looks quite good just there, but it's interesting to know what it actually is. Thanks for all the prompt replies! :gold:

Now, if only I could be patient for the next few weeks until I can actually get it... :banghead:
1965 Series 2A Dormobile
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Post by Jabbawocky » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:12 am

Hi Ant

I make copies of the Carawagon tool boxes and Jerry can holder, as well as making the roof racks. http://www.lrbits.co.uk/index.php?main_ ... ucts_id=18

I have been planning to make some of the early type Land Rover Jerry can holders, but have not got round to measuring one. These take time to make and are therefor more money than the cheaper mass produced items. To sell, they have to be as near to the original as possible. I would be grateful to see pictures of your Jerry Can Holder and if it is the early type, would like to measure it? I am happy to repair it for you and supply it with a mate.

Cheers Mick
AntMan232

Post by AntMan232 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:58 pm

This is what my Jerry can holder looks like. It is off a 1965, so I don't know how early it will be, but is in pretty good shape apart from the bottom rusting through. If you do want to borrow it, let me know and I can probably run it up to you on the train. The kit you have on the website looks very good, I may yet do you some business :gold: . I couldn't see the Carawagon toolboxes or Jerry can holders, but I may have been missing something obvious, unless they aren't all advertised on there.

Ant
Attachments
DSCF1928.jpg
1965 Series 2A Dormobile
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Post by Jabbawocky » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:32 pm

HI Ant

Yes, that is the early type of Jerry can Holder. An optional accessory for all 'lights in panel' series vehicles. Would be great to get my hands on it.

As for the Carawagon tool boxes and Jerry can holders. The last batch I made were made to order and all sold. The daft thing is, I still have most of them here, even though they are paid for. As they are galvanised, you have to make a lot to cover the cost of galvanising. OK when you are getting plenty of orders for the roof racks, but I have just about saturated the market on them, so one doing one batch a year at present. Asking someone to wait a year for their Jerry Can holder is a bit much. I could make a load and hope the sell, but as most Carawagons are sat on Robin's lawn, might not be a good business move!

I am making some roof racks at present and will probably make a couple of pairs of the Carawagon Jerry Can Holders to sell.

The Land Rover Early Type are only painted, so can be made anytime, to order.

Fancy a holiday in the Yorkshire dales? You would be very welcome.

Going to LRO Peterborough?

I am happy send a courier for it and send it back with another to make a pair.

Cheers Mick
AntMan232

Post by AntMan232 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:09 pm

As much as I would like a holiday, unfortunately I am back into upper 6th as of tomorrow, and have about a million things I need to do :banghead: . I don't really know anything about LRO Peterborough, but I am away at an Exeter open day at the time, so that won't work either. You're welcome to courier it if you like, but I might be able to save you the cost as I am heading up that direction a bit later in September, and could probably make a detour your way. I'll have to check timings etc. but that is one choice, depending on how quickly you want your hands on it! Thanks very much for sorting out a partner for it, that's another job (albeit it in the distant future...) that I don't have to worry about :gold: .

Ant
1965 Series 2A Dormobile