New Carawagon on ebay

Please post items for sale or wanted here. Land Rover or items specific to camping only.
smirf
Info: carawagon

Re: New Carawagon on ebay

Post by smirf » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:05 am

may be iam missing the point but i bid on a new warn winch and i had bid what turned out to be just beyond the reserve but no other bid came close so my bid stayed well below. i did finnish as high bidder and asked what the reserve was and they told me and i paid the reserve price. i did not tell them but i had bid £90 beyond the reserve. :cheers:
RMS

Post by RMS » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:19 am

Well that shouldn't have happened, Smirf. It's certainly never happened in any auctions I've bid on :shrug:

From the ebay help pages:

"If your maximum bid is the first to meet or exceed the reserve price, the effective bid displayed will automatically be raised to the reserve price."

I reckon on the auction you mention, the reserve was probably higher than they told you, though why they would tell you a lower price I don't know :shrug:

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
Stuey

Post by Stuey » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:38 am

I can second what Robin is saying, it's never happened in auctions I've bid on too. As eBay works on a proxy bidding system as such, i.e. it will bid on your behalf to your maximum, the only variation to that I am aware of is if you bid over the reserve it will automatically jump to the reserve price.
Not everything has to be big!

www.88inchcarawagons.co.uk
smirf
Info: carawagon

Post by smirf » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:59 pm

yes i see what you mean, it appears i must have been told a fib and told a lower reserve than actually set. i wonder why :shrug: . either way a new 9.5xps for a new defender xs utility next month. i have ordered a mantec winch bumper today and you may or may not realise they dont actualy list a bumper for the xp but nick at mantec has been very helpful and i can recommend them :bow: .
overlander
Info: Carawagon Junkie

Post by overlander » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:29 pm

I too had misgivings about how the bidding suddenly jumped from about £1800 (after the original highest bidder withdrew because he bought something else :whistle: ) to 5K. However I do know that a deal has now been done. Personally having checked the vehicle out, I would never have bid without seeing it first especially as it had no MOT and had not been run on the road since the (very good - as far as I could see) mechanical refurbishment. Although it came with a (somewhat rotten) awning, there were no sliding poles in place, the bed arrangement just did not seem to work, there were no sliding windows in the hardtop and no Searle badges on the body - although there was one inside the roof. However the bulkhead was cut away and there was a partial well in front of the nearside rear wheel. The furniture down the offside was very much on the low side but 'looked' Carawagon.

Nevertheless the potential was there and good luck to the new owner, perhaps we'll see him on here one day and the Landy might even be tax exempt before too long

John H