200 / 300 tdi Conversions....

Workshop and Technical tips & tricks.
jerryd
Info: "the pom down under"

200 / 300 tdi Conversions....

Post by jerryd » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:10 pm

Just looking for any tips along the way as I want to start my conversion soon :stars:

I'm working on the 300 tdi flywheel housing to series gearbox bell housing at the moment, a few holes to drill etc. etc. Would like some "electrickery" advice as to what goes where.....

Thinking of trying to fit power steering from a defender too.........

All advice appreciated :cheers:
RMS

Re: 200 / 300 tdi Conversions....

Post by RMS » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:29 am

Hi Jerry,

I thought that when you guys over there did engine conversions you put 5 litre Holden engines in or something :wink:

There's a couple of good technical sections over on the S2C forum;
200TDi Conversions
300TDi Conversions

If you just want the electrickery bit, I've done a sketch for S3 to 200TDi which might be useful.

That's assuming you're using an early 300TDi which wasn't originally mated to an auto box as if it was, you would have to modify the pump or use some control wiring from the original vehicle :thud:

I've found the actual engine swap is easy, even welding on the Disco engine mounts which I think lessens the vibration.
The 'difficult' or time consuming part is plumbing everything up as nothing is in the right place for the original hoses.

I've no idea about the Defender power steering - I'm using a Range Rover P38 box when I do mine, which is relatively simple. There's a bit of a write-up HERE

Have fun - it really is an easy conversion for someone with your skills.
If you need any specific advice/info, let me know :cheers:

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
jerryd

Post by jerryd » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:08 am

Thanks Robin for the info, my engine is a '96-7 300tdi defender unit and hasn't got the electric bits on it. It's not a popular conversion over here but I'm thinking economy and reliability when I'm miles from anywhere. I was thinking of cutting out the front cross member and then welding a new one in after the defender unit is in place :stars: I'm told it's fairly straightforward :shrug:
I will use defender engine mounts on the chassis and keep the mounts on the engine as they are, hopefully they will fit without fouling on anything. I frequently peruse the Series 2 forum and Terri Ann's site for info.

Not sure on the regs in the uk but over here I will have to get the vehicle inspected and approved by an engineer to register the vehicle, so I'll be trying to make it look like a factory conversion :wink:
jerryd

Post by jerryd » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:05 pm

I've spent the last few days overhauling a spare gearbox that's been sitting in the corner of the garage, I've put an overhaul kit through it and cleaned it all up, so I'm hoping that it will be a huge improvement over the original box that's in the dormobile. Also managed to alter the bell housing so it fits to the 300tdi also.

I'm going to fit this box and test it , if it's all good then maybe I'll take the plunge and fit the diesel sooner than planned :cheers:
Attachments
Photo4151.jpg
Photo4156.jpg
Troika

Post by Troika » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:33 pm

Impressed with the look of that, not a greasy mark anywhere and a spotless floor to boot. :gold:
RMS

Post by RMS » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:17 pm

Good grief, that's clean :aaagh:

I wonder how long it will stay like that once on the road :neener:

Good luck with the conversion.

Cheers,
Robin
(Robin on S2C forum)
jerryd

Post by jerryd » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:09 pm

Thanks for the compliments :cheers:

I doubt it will stay shiny for long as I like "off roading" it too much :neener: . We have an off road weekend planned for the 7th/8th September so I'm going to try and get the gearboxes swapped over before then. The original box is jumping out of 1st gear and loosing oil at an alarming rate :shrug: so I'm reluctant to go far in it , especially where we take it .

It's a shame work gets in the way :banghead:
jerryd

Post by jerryd » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:24 pm

Well I failed to get the dormobile back together in time and had to miss the camping weekend :banghead: I managed to get the gearbox in but as I tried to bleed the clutch the master cylinder exploded. Unfortunately I couldn't get a replacement that weekend, then after fitting a new one the slave cylinder then decided to give up too :stars:

So fingers crossed I'm hoping to test it this weekend. I also did a trial fit of the 40 litre water tank which fits under the driver's seat, I now just have to make a cradle for it to sit in so I'll probably install this before putting the seatbox / floors back in.
Attachments
Photo4242.jpg
Photo4238.jpg
jerryd

Post by jerryd » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:48 am

A bit of an update aimed at Robin :wink:

I've now decided not to use the 300tdi defender motor because I'm reluctant to cut the chassis and weld new mounts on, just in case I decide to return to the six cylinder petrol motor.
So I've part exchanged my shiny 300 tdi motor for a 200tdi defender unit plus a few $$$$ :gold: I plan to get the pump and injectors calibrated and put a kit through the turbo , a bit of spit and paint then install it.

My query is which engine mounts do I need to use to bolt this motor to the series chassis :stars: Thanks in advance
RMS

Post by RMS » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:14 pm

Ah, if you've got a 6 pot chassis you're a bit stuck for easy options, I'm think :thud:

In a 4 pot chassis a 200TDi drops straight onto the original chassis mounts using the 2.25 engine mounts bolted to the 200TDi block.

In a 6 pot chassis the gearbox is about 3-4" further back so when the engine is mated to the gearbox the engine is 3-4" further back as well!

It can be done - it's what is in Patrick's Carawagon, but we did weld the disco mounts to the chassis, I think about 4" further back from the 6 pot mounts.

The engine is very close to the bulkhead, but the only problem that has caused for us is getting to the lift pump and the broken spill pipe on the back of the injector pump - things are a bit tight.

If you don't want to weld the chassis, I think your only option is to suspend the engine in place with a couple of bolts to the gearbox, then fabricate some mounts to come forward to the 6 pot chassis mounts, perhaps modifying the 4 pot engine mounts :shrug:

The only other options, I think, are to move the gearbox forward and use 4 pot propshafts, but that means cutting the gearbox crossmember and relocating it to where it would be on a 4 pot.

Sorry Jerry, but it's weld the chassis or fabricate some mounts - no easy bolt-on options as far as I know.

In one of my project 6 pot Carawagons (arrived with no engine) I intend fitting a Defender long-stick gearbox, modifying the transfer box for part time 4WD. As that gearbox is longer than a Series it will bring the engine further forward, though I'll probably have to get custom length propshafts made up and move the gearbox crossmember.

Have fun, and let us know what you decide to do - and take pictures :cheers:

Cheers,
Robin.
(Robin on S2C forum)