Dormobile Christmas Conundrum!

Anything about Classic Land Rover Campers
AntMan232

Dormobile Christmas Conundrum!

Post by AntMan232 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:09 pm

I've been having a look through some really old pictures of my Dormobile, and I spotted something in one of them, mounted on the rear side of the vehicle by the filling cap. I've included a couple of photos, but I have no idea what it is :shrug: .

There are 3 plugged holes in the same place on the vehicle, but not the other side, so I guess that is where the plate was fixed on. The only thing I could even find close online was this, http://www.flickr.com/photos/sherlock77 ... otostream/
with a table in a similar place, but my one is mounted a bit higher than this, and doesn't appear to have a top.

Any ideas? :gold:

Ant
Attachments
bdh2.jpg
bdh2crop.jpg
bdh2crop.jpg (7.79 KiB) Viewed 6436 times
1965 Series 2A Dormobile
AntMan232

Re: Dormobile Christmas Conundrum!

Post by AntMan232 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:11 pm

And another photo that doesn't really help...
Attachments
bdh1crop.jpg
bdh1crop.jpg (31 KiB) Viewed 6435 times
bdh1.jpg
bdh1.jpg (241.06 KiB) Viewed 6435 times
1965 Series 2A Dormobile
Peaceand

Post by Peaceand » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:40 pm

Hi Ant,
You are probably right with a table, but second guess would be a holder of some kind? Looking at bdh2crop.jpg those top prongs could be hooks which a container hooks onto and is then secured at the bottom.

There seem to be no end of things people (or companies like Dormobile and Searle) will mount on the sides of vehicles. I've seen sand ladders, skis, jerry cans and tables all mounted along the sides of campers. There's an
example on Terri Ann's site which had brackets so the door top could be removed from the front doors and fastened onto the side further back.

Seems odd that a table would be on the 'wrong' side of the back door though. :shrug: It's awkward to walk around when going to the back door, and it's on the road side. Unless your Dormobile was intended for export?

Patrick
  • Holly - 1972 Searle Carawagon Continental Ultimate (200 TDi)
  • Basil - 1969 Searle SWB (Prima TD)
AntMan232

Post by AntMan232 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:50 pm

Not sure if it was intended for export or not, so can't help. I don't think it's a table, as there isn't a top. I thought maybe some sort of washing up stand, but then there's a sink inside, so I have no idea. It's an interesting challenge though, there are all sorts of funny peculiarities to discover. I'm not sure whether there is another fixing hidden by the Bedford door, or whether it is just a T shape...

Ant
1965 Series 2A Dormobile
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Post by Jabbawocky » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:26 am

Hi Ant

My first impression is another jerry can holder as it looks like brackets I have seen on other vehicles, but I would not be surprised if it was for a washing up bowl as the one inside is next to useless. We always wash up outside. Might think about a bowl mount for Barney.
Seems odd that a table would be on the 'wrong' side of the back door though.
Patrick. On which side of Barney do we have the awning? It seams more natural to set up on the drivers side and very useful when traveling abroad.Also the roof tie down straps stop a side awning being transported on the N/S.

Cheers Mick
DanC

Post by DanC » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:21 pm

Great pictures. I am not sure it is a hanging bracket but rather something secured to the side, what I am not sure.... Do you have any other old pics?
'The Wagon' 1962 Martin Walters Dormobile, 2.25 Petrol
'Bessy' 1965 2.25 88" diesel
'Daisy' 1958 2.25 88" diesel
AntMan232

Post by AntMan232 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:39 pm

I have only a couple from that era, and some colour ones from a little later, but by that time it seems to have lost this attachment. At some point I will try and track down the original owner's family, if he had any, and see if they knew anything.

Ant
1965 Series 2A Dormobile