Hello from South Africa

Welcome & new forum members - Please introduce yourself & your motor here.
Eddi
Info: Carawagon Continental

Re: Hello from South Africa

Post by Eddi » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:08 pm

Thanks Philip.....Robin I have no idea, and even less idea how to extend roof ! I found two long narrow boards in the vehicle that should I guess be attached to piano hinges running down the length of the roof. Taking things slowly so as not to damage anything. I opened toolboxes and found loads of spares that I'm guessing we're brought down when vehicle was driven to SA. New free wheel hubs, generator, bulbs, head gasket kit, hoses, plugs, distributor cap to name a few........

I'm in love......My girls have already named him Nelson !

Karl
Peaceand

Post by Peaceand » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:32 pm

Hi Karl,
Those two long pieces of wood should join the piano hinge on the roof to the piano hinges on the edge of the flexible section!
I hadn't noticed in the earlier pictures, but you can just see where it's missing in that last large 'rear' photo you posted.

This is probably the clearest photo I have of the 'assembled' roof (I think it's actually Steve's Carawagon in a previous life)
Roof woodwork
Roof woodwork
jsroof1.jpg (22.37 KiB) Viewed 7831 times
And as mentioned above, you seem to be missing the clamps to hold it down while travelling, which will probably look like this... (I think this is John's old Carawagon from when I was taking some research photos)
Rear roof clamp - John's Carawagon
Rear roof clamp - John's Carawagon
R0013000_r.jpg (74.67 KiB) Viewed 7831 times
Hope that helps!

Patrick
:holly_arrive:
  • Holly - 1972 Searle Carawagon Continental Ultimate (200 TDi)
  • Basil - 1969 Searle SWB (Prima TD)
Eddi

Post by Eddi » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:16 pm

Thanks Patrick,

Will look for clamps and check out boards and hinges tomorrow.

Karl
Calum

Post by Calum » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:09 pm

Karl,

It looks to me as though your roof should have the 'early' setup of clamps on the roof - three across the front and three across the back. On this setup there is no steel angle as in Patrick's photograph.

Below is an early photograph of my motor, showing clearly the early style clamps which yours seems to have had.
Eddi

Post by Eddi » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:21 am

Hi Calum,

Thanks for the pic...... I checked the roof this morning and it is the "early" setup you described, three clamps fron and rear. For some reason all of the clamps had been removed but we found them in a plastic bag inside the car. The two long wooden panels have been removed as the piano hinges seem well past their sell by date. Both upper bunks are still in the vehicle and in remarkably good condition, not sure I'd want to sleep on them though......

thanks again !

Karl
Eddi

Post by Eddi » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:30 pm

I've posted pics of the interior on Facebook......BRS Offroad Accessories, album series 2a carawagon.
RMS

Post by RMS » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:48 am

Hi Karl,

Unfortunately not everyone on here is into Facebook :thud:

Do you mind if I copy the pictures to here (or rather, to your "Member's motors" post)?

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
RMS

Post by RMS » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:29 pm

Eddi wrote: .
The two long wooden panels have been removed as the piano hinges seem well past their sell by date. Both upper bunks are still in the vehicle and in remarkably good condition, not sure I'd want to sleep on them though......
The original hinges were aluminium with steel pin - not good for long-term corrosion resistance :thud:

It's sometimes possible to get them working again by using PlusGas/WD40 or similar over a period, and then gently try to move them.
I've got two Carawagon projects on my front lawn, and I occasionally spray some WD40 on the hinges - hopefully by the time I get around to restoring them, the hinges might be ok!
If that works, it's worth then applying some heavy oil - EP90 or similar, regularly to stop the corrosion getting a hold again.

If that doesn't work, I would try to find stainless steel piano hinges, though finding a supplier for 72" lengths can be difficult.
You can buy new hinges undrilled, so you can drill holes to suit the ones in the flexible roof sheet and the roof frame, or try to find some with the same hole pitch.
We replaced the top hinges on Patrick's with stainless as they really were too far gone!

Re. the bunks - I'm not sure I'd trust 40 year old nylon bunks with an adult weight :stars:
Steve split one of his some time ago - I haven't even tried the ones in mine!
In Patrick's Carawagon the bunks were missing, so we replaced the material of one using the heavy canvas from an ex-army camp bed. That works well, coping with Patrick on our Morocco trip when he wasn't out in his enclosed hammock tent, and at several shows/events until I got my own Carawagon :gold:

Cheers,
Robin.
(Robin on S2C forum)
Eddi

Post by Eddi » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:01 pm

Hi Robin,

Thanks for all your advice.....I have posted a few more pics on FB, you're welcome to copy any you want !

Found a bag full of rubber seals today, hopefully for the roof.

Regards

Karl
RMS

Post by RMS » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:33 pm

Hi Karl,

If you photograph the seals, I should be able to give you some idea of where they fit :cheers:

I've copied your facebook photos to your thread in Member's motors HERE

:tiphat:

Cheers,
Robin.
(Robin on S2C forum)