Seat Belts 2nd row

Workshop and Technical tips & tricks.
BigEars

Seat Belts 2nd row

Post by BigEars » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:18 pm

Hi all
Any body with a Dormobile tried fitting seat belts to the two 2nd row seats without having the centre mounts above floor level to trip you up? Insurance companies don't count seats and therefore passengers without seat belts.

Alec
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Re: Seat Belts 2nd row

Post by Jabbawocky » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:38 pm

HI Alec

I have seatbelts in the back. I have home made brackets hidden behind the steel trim panel on the rear upper body, 110 floor mounts for the bottom outer fixing and the middle floor mount was robbed from the back of a Disco 1, with the clip on buckles. The belts were also robbed from a Disco 1 as are all the belts in the front. In the front, I have also used rear buckles, as then are easy to tread through the seats.

If your not good with a welder I could make you a copy of the brackets I made? Unfortunately, this is what I do for a living so there would be a charge.

Cheers Mick
BigEars

Re: Seat Belts 2nd row

Post by BigEars » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:58 am

Hi Mick
There is a Disco 1 sat in the drive at the moment minus engine which has and will be again the power plant for Big Ears and I've just looked at the seat belts as a possibility. The top mounting is standard LR and has been in since the first rebuild 15years ago bottom reel mount doesn't seem a problem just never worked out the centre mounts which need to be fixed to the under body steel supports but when the rear seats are folded up I don't want them sticking up out of the floor to trip up over (not that we over indulge in any of the produit rergionale when in France). This means a trapdoor in the floor and a sealed box under the floor to house the anchor points and stalks either flexible as in the Disco, solid steel bar as in Volvo fronts or webbing as in the front centre belts.
By the way the Morrocan trip look great fun and we'd like to do the same in a couple of years time I don't think the Camping and Caravanning trips will be quite the same.

Cheers Alec
ps Assume you got your steering shakes on Barney sorted.