LR Classic Camper Rescue

Anything about Classic Land Rover Campers
overlander
Info: Carawagon Junkie

Re: LR Classic Camper Rescue

Post by overlander » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:59 am

A great find Mick, well done and a big thanks to Louise for making it possible. Body looks in good shape, shame about the interior as you said but there are a couple of Carawagons around if you want to copy an authentic interior.

I hope I'm still around to see it attending one of our meets - unless you can get it ship shape for next weekend!

cheers

J
RMS

Post by RMS » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:27 am

You lucky so&so Mick :whistle:

That looks straighter, and in better nick, than my recent purchase - added to the rarity of the roof, if you'd offered it to me instead of buying it yourself, I'd have had it like a shot!

It's interesting though, that the rear side windows are standard. Patrick's SW version uses standard rear windows even though the cabinets come 3/4 of the way up them on one side :stars:

Oh, and I think you'll find they all had the front of the wheel arches cut away as well as the rears, to give more storage space under the bed and in the cabinet, rather than for fitting rear seats.

A very good catch Mick; well done :cheers:

Cheers,
Robin.

PS. I just happen to have some Carawagon rear sides with the proper size windows in if you're interested, oh, and I might even have a spare set of original bunks :tiphat:
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Post by Jabbawocky » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:32 am

Hi Robin
Oh, and I think you'll find they all had the front of the wheel arches cut away as well as the rears, to give more storage space under the bed and in the cabinet, rather than for fitting rear seats.
I'm thinking it was a 4 seater because as will as the arches being cut, they have formed a sunken footwell and there are bolt holes that look like rear seats were fitted. It's full of boxes at present, but come and look after Skipton and see what you think?

Thanks for the offer of the bits. Will have a look today and see what I have already? All the bunk bits are hidden by the plywood roof trim. It is a very posh roof lining. Everything is hidden, but no pouches for your smalls

Cheers Mick
RMS

Post by RMS » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:11 pm

Ah, a sunken footwell, I wonder if it was a SW at some time, or does it look as though it's been hacked in?

I also wonder how they would have got the bed to work if it had SW style rear seats?

If you remember, Patrick's has a 2 seat forward facing bench seat, with the base made from ply, so the cushions can be laid flat and turned. then a single sideways facing rear seat behind that, again with a ply base so the cushions make up the rest of the bed (with the driver's & middle seat).

If we get time on Sunday, I'll pop down and have a gander :cheers:

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)