Beloved Dormie, rotten chassis; advice please?

Anything about Classic Land Rover Campers
johnny366
Info: LR Series 3 109 Station Wagon+Dormobile

Beloved Dormie, rotten chassis; advice please?

Post by johnny366 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:24 pm

Hi everyone,
I have a Series III Station Wagon with Dormobile fittings. I have had many happy journeys with this vehicle but the chassis is rotten. Garage says its beyond repair but I'm wondering a chassis swap worthwhile. I know a lot of you goys have done this yourselves but that is not an option for me. Can anyone recommend anywhere in SE England who might take this on, that I could contact for an estimate?
Thanks
Peaceand

Re: Beloved Dormie, rotten chassis; advice please?

Post by Peaceand » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:37 pm

Hi,
I don't know anybody down your way who could help I'm afraid, but have you looked at http://www.richardschassis.co.uk/prices.html to get an idea of cost of a new chassis?

I think there's a 5% discount for series 2 club members if I recall correctly?

Hope that helps,
Patrick
  • Holly - 1972 Searle Carawagon Continental Ultimate (200 TDi)
  • Basil - 1969 Searle SWB (Prima TD)
bigdave
Info: Elizabeth 1967 Carawagon

Post by bigdave » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:38 pm

I know I'm risking putting my foot in it, but, I'm wondering why the DIY option is not possible.
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Post by Jabbawocky » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:39 pm

HI Johnny

The problem with quoting is what you find once you start stripping the vehicle down. Lots of companies will give you a quote, that is only for the chassis, not the repairs to the bulkhead or repairs to the side rails.

I would budget for about £5000, which sounds a lot, but how much will the vehicle be worth once it has been done?

The other option is to sell it to me for £500 and I will add it to my fleet. :nana: Thinking of renting them out?

Cheers Mick
Troika

Post by Troika » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:48 am

I would suggest you obtain another opinion on the repairability of the existing chassis. Assuming it has been through regular mot's, I have yet to see one go from ok to beyond repar in a year, and some garages just find it easier to become a generic vehicle fitting service rather than the old fashioned diagnosis and repair facility our older vehicles require if diy is not an option.
Marque

Post by Marque » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:27 am

Hello Johhny

You have no location detailed on your profile IIRC.

Local to Bedford (Anglai region so SE-ish) the following is well recommended (through forum - S2C forum, experience).
I have not used them myself but do favour the S2C/LRCC recommendations.
HTH

PARKWELL MOTORS FINEDON
35a Irthlingborough Road
Finedon
Wellingborough
Northamptonshire
NN9 5EH
Tel: 01933 680682

It's about 18.5 miles from centre of Bedford straight up the A6, garage is located on the A6 and easy to find. Hope this is of some use to you.

OT - If I recall Mick's vehicle chassis was snapped but successfully repaired. Perhaps he may be able to advise. Images a big plus in diagnosis.

Also the S2C Series 2 Club forum are very helpful as you are on a well trodden path. Trust me, I will follow in you footsteps soon.

Kindest regards :tiphat:
M
sheepman

Post by sheepman » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:13 pm

A belated answer, you could try Derek Allfrey land rovers. Web site is this name give it a looksie,

John
johnny366

Post by johnny366 » Mon May 18, 2015 9:43 am

Thanks everyone for your time and advice. It's been on back burner for a couple of months, but I need to act soon. I should have said, it's currently on Hampshire coast, Chichester area. I agree it's probably fixable, and trying to get second & third opinions , but tricky as it's not road legal now. £5 might be worthwhile if I spent more on the rest – even on a new chassis I'd still be stuck with all the other smaller usual LR problems. I'm also wondering about swapping Dormobile bits into a TDi...
Marque

Post by Marque » Mon May 18, 2015 11:08 am

Johnny
Please do keep us updated of progress. Happy to hep etc. The vehicles just need TLC. No need to scrap a Dormi with availability of Chassis & Bulkheads these days.
Kindest regards
M
johnny366

Post by johnny366 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:14 am

Hi Marque, and all,
I have made no progress on this, which at least means I haven't given up and scrapped it! I need to start looking properly for a LR friendly garage in Chichester area who would get it through MOT...