Gas bottles

Any other discussions not to do with Classic Campers.
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Re: Gas bottles

Post by Jabbawocky » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:08 pm

Hi all

The gas bottle carrier is still fitted to the back of our Carawagon, but I must admit to never looked at it yet. I have just repaired Hoots 6 pot chassis and that will be going for galvanising soon. I am making several Jerry can holders to go in the pot with the chassis and could make up some bottle carriers if anyone is interested? This is what I do for a living, so there will be a charge.

I will be making a Dormobile bottle rack for Hoots, so let me know if anyone wants one for their Dormobile.

I make Carawagon roof racks, Jerry can holders and tool boxes. Dormobile roof racks. Early and Late Land Rover type Jerry can holders.

Thanks for reminding me to get the bottle rack off the Carawagon.

Cheers Mick
Marque

Post by Marque » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:13 pm

Mick

It is very early days, but am very taken with JerryD's full bonnet roof rack. Would that be in your scope to produce something like that (for a series 2) that would also allow front Jerry Can Holders to be fitted as well? Any idea of the max permissible weight? I am thinking of using it as a sun deck for my daughter & I. Regrettably I am 95KG at present. Daughter much lighter (4 yo)

Just an enquiry at this stage.

Kindest regards
Mark
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Post by Jabbawocky » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:59 pm

HI Mark

RE the roof rack, yes I could make one just like that. I have also been thinking of making an extension rack that bolts to the front of my existing racks. This would allow the extension to be removed when not required. I wondered if this extension would be useful for those that might want to fit a roof tent. why fit a roof tent on a Dormobile I hear you ask? The thought came from a conversation with a couple who were considering holidaying with another couple in their Dormobile.

As for what weight can one of my racks carry? Land Rovers limit is 70kgs. My racks are built from the same materials as the leading roof rack manufacturers. These racks are a compromise between weight and strength. If you jump up and down in the middle, the rack will bend. If you spread your weight, you should have no problem. I am 115kgs and I knee on my rack every time we camp to get access to our roof box.

If you want a special rack, I need as much notice as possible as I only do this part time and only galvanise products when I have enough products manufactured to get economies of scale on the galvanising. On average, I galvanise stuff every 9 months.

Cheers Mick
Calum

Post by Calum » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:06 pm

My bottle holders are both standard, and accept Calor bottles :cheers:
RMS

Post by RMS » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:36 pm

Oh, right, wonder if I had a fat Calor bottle when I tried it in Patrick's :embarassed:

I need to dig one of my holders out to take measurements and photos anyway, so I'll try a Calor bottle in that.

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
Marque

Post by Marque » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:42 pm

Thank you Mick. It is early days but i would like to express an interest. Will keep you updated as things develop. I will PM with known and funded requirements.

Please accept my apologies for the thread hijack. Your understanding is appreciated.
Kindest regards
M
Calum

Post by Calum » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:38 pm

They are indeed a tight fit on the bottom ring, but no modification was necessary! It had two butane bottles fitted when I got it, one of which it still has (still need to exchange it!). With a bit of foam around the middle, they fit very snugly and tightly with no rattles!
RMS

Post by RMS » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:23 pm

Ok, I wonder if there were different carriers depending on which bottle you ordered?

I have a 1972 price list which shows two optional extras of Calor Cylinder 10lb and 'Gaz' Cylinder 6lb 2.7kg.

Anyway, a Calor 3.9kg bottle almost fits the carrier I have here - interesting that the base of the Calor 3.9kg bottle I have here measures 7 3/4" - the ring it is supposed to sit in measures 'almost' 7 7/8" inside so the bottle is a very tight fit - as Calum said.

However, the arms of this holder wrap around the Calor bottle nicely.

A Camping Gaz 907 cylinder is quite a bit narrower in the main section, but the base ring is 8" so even more out of sync with the carrier ring.

Hopefully over the weekend I can get up to measure Patrick's - I was pretty sure the 907 cylinder was a good fit in his and that a Calor 3.9kg wouldn't fit, but I'm old and my memory is failing :thud:
I'm also pretty sure Patrick's has a hasp/staple arrangement for a padlock and not the threaded rod like this one, which presumably would have had a wing nut?

With Calor 3.9kg cylinder:

With 907 Camping Gaz cylinder:

As it would be attached to chassis rail - dropped for changing cylinder:

Anyway, measurements are as follows:
All steel is 1/8" thick.

Base ring is 7 7/8" inside diameter, 1 1/2" deep

Fixed side is 2 1/2" wide, bottom bend is 1" welded to ring, overall height between bends is 7", top bend is 3"

'Catch' section is 2 1/2" wide, 5" long plus threaded rod, top bend is 3 1/4" long.
This is rivetted to the underneath of the floor, I think.

Hinge tabs are 1 3/4" long, 1" wide

Hinged section is 2 1/2" wide, 11 1/2" long between hinge and top bend. Top bend is 2" long.
This is the section which is rivetted to the chassis rail, with the top bend on top of the chassis rail.

Supporting 'arms' are 1 1/2" wide.

Hope that all makes sense

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
Calum

Post by Calum » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:03 pm

Robin, the hanger you have posted looks just like the ones fitted to mine. They were indeed secured by a wing nut - I managed to get one undone and the other sheared so I had to renew one stud (3/8" BSW, luckily very common stuff at work!!). For peace of mind, however, I have used two nuts locked together as I reckon a wing nut will work loose over time. Perhaps an R clip or similar could be used to stop it from undoing? One wing nut under a plain nut is probably easier though.
PhilC

Post by PhilC » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:54 am

Hi Robin,

Thanks very much for posting those measurements and pictures - they do look identical to the holders which used to be on my Carawagon.

Mick,

Would it be possible to manufacture bottle holders for the Carawagon?

Cheers,
Phil