been thinking

Any other discussions not to do with Classic Campers.
venton123

been thinking

Post by venton123 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:15 pm

:hello: what is the best set up for series 2 carawaagn im rebuilding mine atm and i was just wounder wht people find best as their set up?
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Re: been thinking

Post by Jabbawocky » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:12 am

Hi Venton

layout really depends on how you are going to use it? if you are using it on your own, the original 3/4 bed and long cupboards works great. I have a Carawagon which is a blank sheet as all it's interior has been lost. I am going to rebuild it with a full double bed at the front and cupboards at the back just like the Dormobile layout, but I shall make all the units out of wood to look as though Searle built it. I want the option to sleep 4 people as my 3 door Carawagon has be adapted to carry 4 people.

If you let us know which vehicle it is and how many folk you want to sleep, I'm sure you will get lots of suggestions.

Cheers Mick
Peaceand

Post by Peaceand » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:12 am

Hi,
As Mick says, it depends a lot how you are going to use it. I've got a 5 door, 6 seater Carawagon and find that for one person it's a lot of effort to rearrange all the seats into a bed.

If I needed to carry 6 people then it would be worth it, but usually it's just me and occasionally my girlfriend, so really those extra forward facing seats in the back aren't being used and just make the bed more complicated.

However, on a long journey with a group, then those forward facing seats in the back are very useful for the passengers, better than sitting sideways with a limited view.
(Where those extra passengers sleep is another matter, 2 bunks and a 3/4 bed means somebody's sleeping outside)

If I was starting with a bare shell, I'd be very tempted to have a more fixed bed, like the 2 door version with a long bench seat. When doing long trips where you drive every day, reconfiguring the interior twice a day takes up a lot of time. Especially if you are tired and just want to sleep.

On a similar topic, storage is important too, ideally when travelling everything should be packed away - then when you stop you don't need to move things around just to get into the back.

Whereabouts are you? Would attending one of the shows/events be possible? If LRCC are there then there are usually a few Carawagons and other campers that you could have a look at.

Hope that helps!
Patrick
:holly_arrive:
  • Holly - 1972 Searle Carawagon Continental Ultimate (200 TDi)
  • Basil - 1969 Searle SWB (Prima TD)
venton123

Post by venton123 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:08 pm

its a series 2 short wheel base and it mainly be me sleeping and traveling in the landy, im just struggling weather to have a fixed bed wiith draws under it or to have a seat n it a bed at night, n im from notts :cheers:
DrivingDutchman

Post by DrivingDutchman » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:43 pm

I have seen a cracking conversion of a short wheel based 88 in clr some time ago. Cheap and realy tought through.

Cheers,

Michiel
1969 109 sw dormobile Dora
1996 overland defender sw 110 Nellie
1962 109 sw safari diesel Hannie (sold)
1973 88 series 3 soft top in various bits on the drive...