X-panda-cab - anyone got one in the UK?

Anything about Classic Land Rover Campers
ferretjuggler

X-panda-cab - anyone got one in the UK?

Post by ferretjuggler » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:58 pm

While I was chucking ideas about in my head, I stumbled across the x-panda-cab.

It's very close to what I was starting to think about, except I was having ideas about hinges at the front of the hard top.

So has one ever made it to the UK?

And has it survived intact?

What I love about it is that it's a 100% reverseable conversion, change the hard top and you have a standard Land Rover again.
RMS

Re: X-panda-cab - anyone got one in the UK?

Post by RMS » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:24 pm

I know Steve (WhiteKnight) has looked into these, but as he's already got a Carawagon, it's probably just out of interest rather than actually pursuing one :wink:

I like the idea an Australian couple had (they described their camper at length to us at Peterborough last year).
They've hinged the roof along one side, and made a frame and canvas which unfolds as they flip the roof right over.
The roof is then supported on legs, and voila, a double bed plus all the headroom you might want!

I think there's a picture or two somewhere - I'll try to dig them out, unless Steve has them handy?

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
MrLeadfoot

Post by MrLeadfoot » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:52 pm

There are some pics on my photobucket album.
ferretjuggler

Post by ferretjuggler » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:20 pm

MrLeadfoot wrote:There are some pics on my photobucket album.
Found them!
Cheers

Actually there's a wealth of information on there.
I'll get back to it later when I've finished work.

Quote from RMS
like the idea an Australian couple had (they described their camper at length to us at Peterborough last year).
They've hinged the roof along one side, and made a frame and canvas which unfolds as they flip the roof right over.
The roof is then supported on legs, and voila, a double bed plus all the headroom you might want!

I think there's a picture or two somewhere - I'll try to dig them out, unless Steve has them handy?
Now that ides appeals to me.
Basically cheap to do, and giving treble the space available without having to climb over bonnets or up ladders.
And I've just bought a spare 88 roof panel too.
I'm thinking of a fully demountable set up, no cutting or drilling of the base vehicle.
WhiteKnight
Info: Wagons, ho!

Post by WhiteKnight » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:49 am

Hi Ferretjuggler.
Robin is correct.
I actually looked into one seriously before nabbing the carawagon.
There is lots of info here on Teri-Ann's excellent site http://tinyurl.com/cckjzyo
Also Ike at Pangolin is a mine of info http://tinyurl.com/cxm8wq6
I understand the roof itself is relatively simple (see Pangolin) and could be made at home.
The rear of the cab is another matter, however, but you could make it similar to an Xpanda original but include some more home comforts if you aren't quite so bothered about originality.
:cheers:
Steve
Peaceand

Post by Peaceand » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:04 pm

I was driving round an industrial estate near Wakefield yesterday, looking for an elusive sandblasting company to do my SWB wheels, and I saw a VW camping conversion place. I only got a glance, but there was something that looked very x-panda like, on a VW van of course, but the same principle.

Hinged at the back, quite high up the roof, with a big window in the front, maybe some small windows in the sides too...

I'll be going back there tomorrow to pick my wheels up, I'll try and get a photo and some company details.

Patrick
  • Holly - 1972 Searle Carawagon Continental Ultimate (200 TDi)
  • Basil - 1969 Searle SWB (Prima TD)
Peaceand

Post by Peaceand » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:32 pm

A quick follow up to that - it's disappointingly not the same concept as the x-panda, it's a fiberglass roof that sits on top of the existing roof, which has a hole cut out. It was very neatly done, looked a little like a Land Rover safari roof with the second skin actually.

It's also a ready made unit that they just bolt on - I was hoping it was something the garage actually made themselves. But the chap said he would have a go at making one for a Land Rover if anybody wanted to do it. Or he'd do the fabric section if needed too.

Maybe some help to somebody? http://www.t4transformations.co.uk

Patrick
  • Holly - 1972 Searle Carawagon Continental Ultimate (200 TDi)
  • Basil - 1969 Searle SWB (Prima TD)
ferretjuggler

Post by ferretjuggler » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:08 pm

Cheers Patrick

This is one of those things that you can keep churning around in your head for months.
The big problem I can see with the x-panda-cab is loss of headroom with it in the collapsed/driving position.

Most of the "tent" fabric is at front end just where you dont want it.
Also, I think there is a horrizontal member right in front of the safari door opening, loosing about 4" of effective door height, just where you need it.

I'm now starting to think of a lift roof hinged at the front or side even.
That would give max headroom at the rear above the load area, where your cooker/sink/table etc would be.

I'm not overly keen about only having access to the sleeping comparment by climbing over the bonnet.
Something of a PITA if you fancy a snack in the middle of a storm.
I think internal access could be acheived without too much trouble.

Steve
MrLeadfoot

Post by MrLeadfoot » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:32 pm

I like the look of this http://www.desert.at/Alben/Land%20Rover ... index.html
I,ve done allsorts with LR roofs, even a double roof type xpander, I think my next atempt will be a 3in roof lift and go back to a bed over the bulkhead.
ferretjuggler

Post by ferretjuggler » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:48 pm

That (the station wagon lift roof) is exactly what I'm thinking of doing with my 88.

OK so it's not an "invisible" conversion like the x-panda-cab, but it's not too freakish either.

Doubtless my ideas will get modified still further as this progresses, I'm starting to have ideas about solid, folding sides now!