Searle number plates - Almost sequential pair.

Anything about Classic Land Rover Campers
Peaceand

Searle number plates - Almost sequential pair.

Post by Peaceand » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:05 am

At the Peterborough LRO show last week we encountered two Range Rover Carawagons. They are pretty rare now so having 2 in one place meant having a quarter of the estimated survivors (according to the owner of the blue one, there's only 8 left).
Asides having a lineup of Land Rovers and Range Rovers with matching roofs, the registration of mine (NPF 554L) and the blue RR (NPF 557L) are very close.

Before this I assumed registrations were assigned to vehicles as they left Land Rover before reaching Searle, but now having found these two I would guess they were assigned by Searle as they were finished/sold, and these two were produced at the same time.

And the full lineup when the two Range Rovers came over after the show to join us for a photo:

Patrick

:holly_arrive:
  • Holly - 1972 Searle Carawagon Continental Ultimate (200 TDi)
  • Basil - 1969 Searle SWB (Prima TD)
Calum

Re: Searle number plates - Almost sequential pair.

Post by Calum » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:49 pm

Peaceand wrote:I would guess they were assigned by Searle as they were finished/sold, and these two were produced at the same time.
I always understood that to be the case, hence them all having Surrey registrations (where Searle of course were based). Mine was built in June '67 but not registered by Searle until the 28th December!

Nice to see two RR conversions together as you just don't see them about!! :gold:
Dieselhen

Post by Dieselhen » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:22 pm

The lad I bought the blue Dormobile from up in Elgin, back in May 2012, had a Range Rover Carawagon that he was about to start working on. Most unusual looking beast and I hadn't realised then that Range Rovers could be converted like that. I do wonder how he he's got on with it.
chrisS

Post by chrisS » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:15 pm

Hi, Just scrolling the web and came across your site, If I could introduce my self as I used to work for Searle,s back in the Seventies/ Eighties But it was forty years ago so memory may not be as it was,
The Vehicles were delivered from Rovers to Sunbury un reg , Most were to customers orders as far as wheelbase ,engine type etc, whilst others were for Searles stock. Nearly all were export issue both left and right drive . It took about a month to do the conversion depending on work load and what the conversion required .
When there was less work some basic Carawagons were built for stock and later finished to customers requirements But most tines the order book was full. None were registered until ready for delivery, except a few showroom models So some of the stock vehicles may have been several months old be for being registered, Thus in no real sequence . This did not apply to military Carawagons as these were released from army stock and were already issued with military registations when delivered. Hope this is of some interest to you chris
AlexB

Post by AlexB » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:26 pm

Welcome Chris and thanks for the information.
Nice to have some insider knowledge
wagoner

Post by wagoner » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:23 pm

Hi patrick the number on my 109 is EPK 798 J the one on the left of the picture , I have a sales brochure with a similar truck down to the ski straps on the side reg EPK 796 J interesting cheers Trev
chrisS

Post by chrisS » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:31 pm

Hi. One other thought, On top of this you would have to allow for any time from the Rover build date to the actual dispatch date from Rover stock
ChrisS
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Post by Jabbawocky » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:04 am

Hi ChrisS

Welcome to the forum. Just wondered if you ever heard of Searle building Carawagons with Fiberglass roofs? I have this one sat in my yard awaiting restoration.

http://www.rms1.co.uk/lrcc/forum/viewto ... ?f=8&t=653

Would love to know more about it?

Cheers Mick