Wanted 2.5L Petrol Engine

Please post items for sale or wanted here. Land Rover or items specific to camping only.
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Wanted 2.5L Petrol Engine

Post by Jabbawocky » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:59 am

Hi all

Looking for a 2.5L petrol engine.

The plan is to get our Carawagon on the road this year. I have rebuilt the chassis and that will be galvanised soon. The chassis had been modified for a V8, but I have refitted mounts for 4 Cyl engines. I have fitted the mounts 90/110 style so that I can fit engines up to and including the 200Tdi. It is originally a 2.25 petrol, so I would really like to keep it a petrol. Being a camper and heavy all the time, I think the 2.5L would cope better with the weight and give better MPG, as should cope better with higher gearing.

If I cannot find one, the other option is a 200tdi, but the 2.5L petrol would be gentler on the gearbox/clutch.

Keep your eyes open for me, please.

Cheers Mick
RobW

Re: Wanted 2.5L Petrol Engine

Post by RobW » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:53 am

I've got the 2.5l in mine which (hopefully) is being swapped out sometime this year - ideally before Easter. However first offer is to a friend who wants it for a Series 3 whilst he rebuild it's 2.25 petrol. Runs fine once warm but carb will need a good clean out as it's been stood a lot over the last 5-10 years - not seen smoke so think the cold start issues are carb related.

Pulls fine, but PO reckoned 15 mpg which with a 10 gallon tank isn't great - hence the switch to diesel.
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Re: Wanted 2.5L Petrol Engine

Post by Jabbawocky » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:32 am

BI Rob

If he changes his mind, let me know. I've done the TDi thing. The fuel economy is great, but I fancy trying a petrol again. If I find an engine, it will get a full rebuild to stage two. Hopefully that will improve the economy a bit and help push the Carawagon on at a reasonable speed.