Gathering in France 2015, we are definitely going.

Please post your trips here, past, present & future.
Note that shows etc. should be posted in the 'Events & Shows' section.
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Gathering in France 2015, we are definitely going.

Post by Jabbawocky » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:06 pm

Hi all

In 2010 and 2012 Lou, William and I travelled to Normandy for a short break during the summer half term holiday. I mentioned this on the forums and in 2010 we ended up with 6 vehicles crossing the channel and 3 French Dormobiles joining us for the long weekend. 2012 was mothers day in France, so our only continental attendee was Tony who travelled from Switzerland.

As we have not been for a couple of years, we are definity going this year and can see no reason not to return to Lyons la Foret. The only problem this year is that the Spring Adventure show is also on the first weekend on the half term. We did consider going later in the week for the second weekend, but that would mean dashing home Sunday evening and then straight back to work Monday morning. Lou has said no.

So, we are planning a trip to France of the Bank Holiday weekend 23rd - 25th May 2015. We will be setting off as soon as Louise finishes work and getting the late ferry Friday evening and then parking up on the Aires de Service in Calais. This is a dedicated parking area for campervan/motorhomes and costs 7 euros. There are no toilets as all vehicles must be self contained. This will be the first rally point for anyone that wants to join us.

If anyone wants to join us, you are very welcome. I wiil post additional meeting points along the trip to the campsite in Lyons la Foret when I get a bit more time. If you want to see where we are going, have a look here. http://www.dormobile.org.uk/phpbb/viewt ... f=34&t=731.

Cheers Mick
AlexB

Re: Gathering in France 2015, we are definitely going.

Post by AlexB » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:15 pm

Great news - back on the road again !

Doesn't work for us I am afraid - in Ostend I believe, on dancing trip. Hope you have a great time
loic

Post by loic » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:25 pm

Hi Mick,
it's difficult for me at that time.
If you plan it from 14 to 17 may, you could have 2 belgian Dormobile. ..

cheers

Loïc
1957 S1 88"
1971 S2A Dormobile 6cyl
Jabbawocky

Post by Jabbawocky » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:23 am

Hi Loic

Would have been great if you could have come and I wish we had more flexiblity on dates. We can only come during School holidays as it is against the law in the UK to remove a child from school.

We would love to come to the Swiss meeting in July and the Bal des Series in September, but both are in school time. He only has another 10 years in school, so we might see you then.

Cheers Mick
overlander
Info: Carawagon Junkie

Post by overlander » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:54 pm

Maybe - need a lot more brownie points.
Dormy
Info: Sleeping on the job.....Zzzzzz

Post by Dormy » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:19 am

Having just returned from our most recent travels to a warm climate (sans L/R), we have now had a chance to carefully check the kitchen calendar and can make this trip. :woohoo:

Our current thoughts are to travel over sometime earlier (from the 18th or so), base ourselves at Lyons la Foret and spend a few days doing touristy things. We will meet up with whoever else gets there and return on the 26th (to avoid the bank holiday traffic).

Any advice regarding ferry/Chunnel/campsite bookings etc ?

Ian
Jabbawocky

Post by Jabbawocky » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:18 pm

Hi Ian

Your plan sounds great. There is plenty to do in Normandy, just remember it is a very big county when planning where you are going. If you want to do the Invasion beaches, you may want to camp up there and then down to Lyons la Foret to meet us for the weekend. As for crossing the channel, we normally do Dover Calais at night and camp on the Aires de Service in Calais. It's only 5 mins from the port and sign posted "Camping Car". We are also booked to come home on Tuesday.

Hi all

Due to the bank holiday, we could not get the ferry booking we wanted, so this year we are crossing by tunnel. We are booked on the 11.50pm train on Friday evening and will be stopping the night on the Cite Europe Motorhome parking area here https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/50% ... :0x0?hl=en.

This will be the first rally point for anyone wanting to join us for the drive to Lyons la Foret. We will be having breakfast here and will be here until 10.00am. The plan is then to head for the motorway and head for Forges-les-Eaux. On the motorway it is a 2 hour drive to Forges-les-Eaux and our rally point will be the E.D. Supermarket here https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/E.d ... 18!6m1!1e1.

This is a discount supermarket, but has a very good butchery section and very good fruit and veg. We will be shopping here and having a bite of lunch. We will be aiming to leave here about 1.00pm and driving the last 30km to Forges la Foret. From Forges-les-Eaux, the campsite is part of the sport centre on the left as you enter the village.

As for booking the campsite, if there are only a few of us, it is probably not necessary as this is a large site and very quiet at this time of year. Please can people let me know if you are thinking of coming so I know wether or not to book spaces.

Hope this helps. let me know if you need any more info

Cheers Mick
Dormy

Post by Dormy » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:51 pm

Hi Mick,

Just letting you know we are now booked up for crossing the channel. We will go over on Mon 18th and return Tue 26th. Our return ferry crossing will be about an hour after your Chunnel train, so we could leave campsite together and convoy back to Calais.

Anyway, will be waiting for you when you get on site.

Ian, (Dianne & Dormy).
Jabbawocky

Post by Jabbawocky » Fri May 01, 2015 12:02 am

Hi Ian

Where else are you heading? We have been all over France and been on many campsites. Let us know and we might be able to recommend some sites/places to visit.

Really looking forward to getting back to France.

Cheers Mick
Dormy

Post by Dormy » Sun May 03, 2015 12:18 am

Hi Mick,

Our intention is to base ourselves at Lyons la Foret and spend a few days doing touristy things. I may be returning with another group later in the year to visit the beaches (not really Dianne's thing), so any tips on other local attractions would be welcome.

Ian