East Mids carawagon

Welcome & new forum members - Please introduce yourself & your motor here.
Cyberdiddle
Info: '63 2A and '73 S3 Carawagon

East Mids carawagon

Post by Cyberdiddle » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:07 am

Thanks for the welcome. I have an SIII 109 version. Unfortunately that is about all I know about this vehicle as it came with zero documents, even though it was first registered in 1973. One curiosity of this vehicle is that it has a vacuum gauge on the dash, but is not fitted with vacuum-assisted brakes. Can anyone shed any light on that?
romanyrose
Info: romanyrose

Re: East Mids carawagon

Post by romanyrose » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:39 am

G'day matey, welcome along, is your truck a petrol?, if so the vacuum gauge like mine could be a way of setting up your motor so you get a steady needle, it also help's you keep your foot off the throttle in a way of acting like a fuel saving device.

When setting up your motor you need to get the needle steady to get the maximum vacuum, my late father was a big fan of these to help him get the best performance without using any more fuel than necessary.

A steady needle mean's your timing or carb are not far from being set to achieve the best from your motor. Sorry i am not good with word's and find myself repeating myself but hope you get the idea.

Catch you later. R-Rose
Cyberdiddle
Info: '63 2A and '73 S3 Carawagon

Post by Cyberdiddle » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:03 pm

Thanks RR, much appreciated - as is the advice. It is petrol so I'll certainly take a look at that as mine is not very efficient, even by Series LR standards!
romanyrose
Info: romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:47 pm

G'day matey, just asking out of interest what carb are you running that to will make a difference. If you ever fancy a chat or visit my door is all ways open, it would be easier for me to show you than talk on here.

I run an ambulance camper as well as a 109 camper both that are petrol at the moment but when I am able I will be fitting diesel motors. I will be running a couple of petrol's because I just love them and people can't hear me creep up on them.

As you might have gathered although I have a disability and my manual work is slow I was taught by my late father who was an electrical/mechanical engineer, he learnt his trades in the forces after traveling all over the world over in his service of 22 year's plus .

After he did his time he got a job at Ruston Gas Turbines and again travelled the world till he had to retire due to his health, unfortunately he is not with us now but I would like to think he taught me what I know.

Again you are welcome and the kettle never stops boiling for a brew or two. Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat: .