Why a Fibreglass roof & not an Aluminium one?

Workshop and Technical tips & tricks.
Marque

Why a Fibreglass roof & not an Aluminium one?

Post by Marque » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:42 pm

Good afternoon Ladies & Gentlemen

Looking at the state of my vehicle's roof got me wondering why Martin Walter used Fibreglass rather than pressing an all Aluminium roof.

They must have been aware of the relative strength of Aluminium. So what drove the decision to fibreglass?

Ease of mold production (like TVR's terrific bodywork - relatively easy to form)?

Kindest regards
Mark
Teriann
Info: 1960 Dormobile Hybrid

Re: Why a Fibreglass roof & not an Aluminium one?

Post by Teriann » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:57 pm

My guess is because it was cheap to make and didn't require expensive tooling.
TeriAnn______________

web site http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/
Land Rover based motor caravans http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/#caravan
Gromit

Post by Gromit » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:59 pm

Teriann wrote:My guess is because it was cheap to make and didn't require expensive tooling.
Plus you would need access to a very big press.
1956 Series I 86" hardtop
1960 Series II LWB ute (sold)
1965 Series IIa Dormobile
1970 Series IIa GS
1976 Series III SWB with Isuzu 2.4
1981 Series III FFR
1995 Defender Tanami
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Post by Jabbawocky » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:01 am

Hi Mark
Looking at the state of my vehicle's roof got me wondering why Martin Walter used Fibreglass rather than pressing an all Aluminium roof.
I have not seen your roof, but I can guess what it looks like. Mine was in a very bad state. but restoring it was relatively simple and used very basic tools. If it had been an aluminium roof in the same state, it would have been beyond economic repair.

All I did was grind and sand all the bad bits, repair all the bad bits with resin and matting. Sand these repaired area back to the correct shape and then sprayed the whole roof with white gelcoat. I sprayed both the outside and the inside of the roof with gelcoat. It goes on quite lumpy, which is quite attractive on the inside. The outside took lots of elbow grease to wet flat back down to something like.

Why did they use fibreglass? It is cheap. Is simple and very quick to work with. Is waterproof. Is very strong for its weight. Looked very modern in the fifties and does not corrode.

Aluminium would have had to be formed in several sections and then either riveted or spot welded together. Welding all the roof together and then finishing it to the same standard as the Fibreglass roof would have cost a fortune.

Cheers Mick
Marque

Post by Marque » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:46 am

Thank you Lady & Gentlemen. I have my answer. Much appreciated.

I will swat up on how to repair the roof over the winter for execution next year (under cover).

Thank you again.
Kindest regards
Mark