Recent trip to the West coast of Scotland

Please post your trips here, past, present & future.
Note that shows etc. should be posted in the 'Events & Shows' section.
RMS

Re: Recent trip to the West coast of Scotland

Post by RMS » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:12 pm

Just as an additional chapter to Patrick's original post - his 'breakdown' wasn't the battery failing, but the alternator bracket shearing off!

With the replacement battery on, we had measured the voltage and it was slowly rising from 12V or so with the engine running, so we thought that was that!
However, since then the battery voltage has been slowly dropping, so he had a look and noticed the fanbelt wasn't very tight. That lead him to look at the alternator, which was only held in place with the adjustment strap!!
The bracket, with its spacers (for the 200TDi mod) had sheared off!

Patrick says he had noticed the radio playing up early on in the journey back from Scotland, so the belt had, luckily, stayed on the pulleys and must have been spinning the water pump and the alternator just enough to put the light out!

Anyway - all sorted now with Dad laying in a puddle in torrential rain to get it re-mounted :thud:

So, he's all set for Leafers at t'Pit at the weekend :woohoo:
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
Chris

Post by Chris » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:07 pm

That's a nice trip and write up as well.

Myself and my girlfriend are off to Scotland next month, not in a Carawagon though, but my 90.

Over 13 days we will be travelling between 1500 & 2000 miles, starting from the West Midlands on day one and travelling to The Lake District for starters, day two will see us over the border, through Kielder Forest and eventually over the Forth Bridge to Bridge of Allan. After this we will be off to Arbroath & Braemar before spending a few days in Aberdeenshire before we head north through Inverness to the "delightfully" sounding place of Spittal :grin:. Here we will spend a couple of days in and around the area before heading west, then south via the coast to Ullapool for a couple of days, then off to Oban via Skye, where we too hope to get a ferry at short notice. The penultimate stage of the trip will be down to Dumfries, then the last stage will be back home to the West Mid's.

I was looking at the map last night at the possible routes for the Oban to Dumfries stage and got to thnking, wouldn't it be nice to island hop around the west coast in my IIa :woohoo:.

Chris.
Muckitup
Info: I camp in a tent or sometimes a caravan

Post by Muckitup » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:19 pm

Hi Patrick nice pics would be a nice trip up there sometime if we could get a few more to join us. Neil
Spider

Post by Spider » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:21 am

Heart pics, sounds like a nice trip. That is the first trip for the Dormobile when it is done "The Uists". Used a solar shower in Scotland last time we went (only once and it was a very very quick, cold one) think they are better in the south of France .