Ripley Castle Classic Car Show, 4th June

Please post any events or shows here.
lightweightles
Info: 72 carawagon six pot,67 dormobile tdi

Re: Ripley Castle Classic Car Show, 4th June

Post by lightweightles » Sat May 26, 2012 2:33 pm

Well that is good to know that I can at least have a cuppa, and as you say we always forget something or other so compromise should be our middle name.

Yeah toilet tent and females tend to go together, I am trying to convince her not to take one to Ripley with it just being one night.

I suppose I should bring a double toilet tent cos the female of the species always go to the toilets in twos. :whistle: :neener:

Wiring up and finishing hours before you go is living on the edge glad it turned out ok.

Just wondering where the useful stuff is going by the time I install the chandeliers plump up the cushions and plug in the butler, God I hope there is not a female appliance out there called a butler. :aaagh:

You buzzed I mean rang MADARM. :o :grin:
WhiteKnight
Info: Wagons, ho!

Post by WhiteKnight » Sat May 26, 2012 3:03 pm

RMS wrote:True, Les.
We had to pack for almost every eventuality for that trip, and three adults have a lot of baggage!
Steve has a great system of storage boxes which are a perfect fit in the cupboards of the 2 door Carawagon. As soon as I sort out the rest of my Carawagon, I'm going to have to do something similar. What you don't want to do is pack everything under the bench seat as once you pull it out as a bed, it's difficult to get under it :stars:
Check out Steve's system next weekend - don't look at mine though; I'm still at the stage of throwing everything in :thud:
Cheers,
Robin.
Thanks, kind sir. By no means perfect yet though but! Am still working on it.
lightweightles wrote: Just wondering where the useful stuff is going by the time I install the chandeliers plump up the cushions and plug in the butler, God I hope there is not a female appliance out there called a butler. :aaagh:
You buzzed I mean rang MADARM. :o :grin:
Gene Genie !

overlander
Info: Carawagon Junkie

Post by overlander » Sun May 27, 2012 11:29 pm

Looking forward to seeeing your latest acquistion Les, the Carawagon that is... Don't worry too much about a toilet tent, there is at least one Portaloo on site, usually not far from where we set up.

Cream tea eh - sounds good to me.

cheers

John H
overlander

Post by overlander » Mon May 28, 2012 10:38 am

Weather doesn't look too promising for the weekend, showers and max temp of 12 degrees C, looks like we'll need to take more wood and alcohol.

cheers

J
lowebox
Info: my camper is a tent untill I get the 109
Location: The wilds of the Lincolnshire wolds,(well just outside Grimsby)

Post by lowebox » Mon May 28, 2012 6:14 pm

Shut up John me and Wendy are staying up there all week it better be good weather :neener: :neener:
overlander

Post by overlander » Mon May 28, 2012 9:41 pm

Sorry Gordon don't want to put the mockers on it but I just saw the forecast!

cheers

J
RMS

Post by RMS » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:50 am

Well, the latest weather reports for Harrogate say it's going to rain on Sunday, but should be ok on Monday.

See you there, with waterproofs and hot water bottle!!

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
jerryd
Info: "the pom down under"

Post by jerryd » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:09 pm

Looking forward to seeing some pics and a trip report :cheers:
RMS

Re: Ripley Castle Classic Car Show, 4th June - Show Report

Post by RMS » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:46 pm

Well, a very damp start to the weekend, with the rain starting at 22:20 on Saturday night, and it didn't stop until about 16:00 on Sunday meant the top showfield was pretty well waterlogged!

On our arrival we turfed off a herd of red deer which was lurking under the trees where we normally set up:

(Photo by RMS)
They remained at a distance, watching us, until the crowds started arriving on Monday morning when they disappeared for the remainder of the day.

Our encampment consisted of two S2a Carawagons (Steve's and mine), the 'new' S3 LHD Carawagon of Les & Yvonne, and John's 88" camper.

We were joined on Sunday night by a number of other Series Land Rovers, and we all tucked into a Kefta and Tagine followed by cheesecake & fruit, around the firepit.

(Photo by Yvonne McGough)

Various bottles were opened and emptied throughout the night :wine: with folk drifting off at different times.
Steve and I put the last piece of wood on the fire at around 3AM and retired to our Carawagons as the sky was lightening :stars:

We were woken by the sound of the other vehicles starting to arrive early the next morning, by which time everything had dried out nicely and the day turned out to be reasonably sunny and warm. In fact, we woke up to clear blue skies which was a pleasant change to the day before!

Jubilee Steve!

The Series Land Rovers which weren't in the LRCC camp were sent up to the top field for the show as they were less likely to get bogged down than the low-riding classic cars!

I think Mark (Woodward, the show organiser) said that around 400 Classic Cars cars turned up, and there was a steady influx of visitors as well.

We were kept very busy on our stand, showing people our Carawagons and camper, and again we struggled to get away from the stand ourselves to look around the rest of the show, or even to have lunch, though Yvonne did put on a wonderful cream tea spread which was very welcome :tiphat:

We were interviewed by a reporter/photographer who spent well over an hour with us, asking all sorts of details and taking lots of photos - hopefully there will be a piece in one of the LR mags in the next month or so.

The last of the public left us around 4:30pm, and we spent the rest of the afternoon packing up and chatting before leaving.

Thanks to all who came to make it another show to remember
:cheers:

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
overlander

Post by overlander » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:54 pm

Yvonne's timing was a split second out as she took the first pic just as I blinked :wink: - made it look as if I was dozing in my chair :whistle:

Great weekend and worth the effort involved in setting everything up - including a non-stop slide show of our North African jaunt - and being constantly on hand to answer a myriad of questions from interested punters.

cheers

John H