Chassis paint?

Workshop and Technical tips & tricks.
chippit

Chassis paint?

Post by chippit » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:31 pm

Hi,

The leaking fuel tank has now been removed and my OH has done some very nice repair work to the chassis, I have spent the last 2 days scraping all the loose rust and old falling off chassis paint from the back 3/4 of my chassis. For 42 years old it is not doing too badly at all, I have not found any more rot.

The question is how to treat it? what does anyone recommend?
DSC_0488.JPG
romanyrose
Info: romanyrose

Re: Chassis paint?

Post by romanyrose » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:30 pm

G'day matey, i use cur-rust i think it is called :embarassed: but i know it turn's the metal black and is supposed to slow down the rusting process, i had a gallon tin that had the corner of the tin damaged and had started to leak so was thrown in the bin but not for long :whistle: .

The guy who binned it was a fitter at a military base who through it out because of the use by date had expired and i am not joking :shrug: , he hardly used it but the tin got damaged so it sort of jumped in my bin :wink: .

The military stuff was white in colour, smelt the same and dried black so maybe it was the same stuff but bought in bulk in a white gallon tin :shrug: .

Oil rig's are painted in something phosphate :embarassed: , the name has left me while typing the above :banghead: sorry, but someone will be along in a bit unless my bounce recover's a tad.

:stars: R-Rose :tiphat: .
romanyrose
Info: romanyrose

Re: Chassis paint?

Post by romanyrose » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:04 pm

G'day matey, Zinc phosphate is what it say's on the tin and i was told the above and would be a good primer for bare rusty chassis part's, however the gallon tin was a gift due to the use by date and the fact it was going in the skip :whistle: .

I guess it's maybe not good advice but when need's must having ran out of the cure-rust it did the job well but had to be outside or a well ventilated area :aaagh: .

Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat: .