Thought's please on a 2.5 diesel ??.

Workshop and Technical tips & tricks.
romanyrose
Info: romanyrose

Thought's please on a 2.5 diesel ??.

Post by romanyrose » Tue May 23, 2017 9:45 pm

G'day chap's, you have to excuse any repetition in my thought's but while Jonny my helper was having a good tidy up and moving a shed he came across a complete 2.5 diesel that i can't remember much about or just where it came from :embarassed: .
Now while HEC is having her make over i have decided because she is my tow motor and the fact i have come across this 2.5 that seem's not to have to many oil leak's :whistle: it might just be the motor that will end up in HEC.
To be honest having only been a 2-1/4 petrol or diesel man apart from my lasses Disco, with it being fairly dry of oil leak's it makes me think it might be worth whipping the head off :shrug: along of course with checking the wood ruff key set up for slap.
Any advice will be welcome as to what one think's is my best travel of venture of a smelly old diesel :whistle: that will be my main work horse come traveling companion.

Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat: .
romanyrose

Re: Thought's please on a 2.5 diesel ??.

Post by romanyrose » Wed May 24, 2017 10:58 pm

G'day chap's, i have to ask to save time please but what alteration's do i have to have made so the 2.5 diesel will sit in HEC my standard G redg 88.

To be honest i have not looked in to it fully as yet but for some reason i remember something about the fuel pump and a engine mount having to be altered :shrug: .

If it is a case of whipping the off side wing off so the mounting can be got at properly :shrug:, this is not a problem due to me being able to get thing's ready for someone to weld for me :whistle: :wink: .
I have a set of Zuess timing gear's to replace the timing belt, am i going over the top with the thought's of a belt snapping in the middle of know where,also when the pump timing is set that's it no belt to slacken.

Your thought's please would be appreciated along of course with some help :bow: .

romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Thu May 25, 2017 9:30 pm

G'day chap's, i am surprised i have not had any offer's of either help or advice but then maybe i am jumping the gun a bit :shrug: .

I might give people the impression i am superman and can master anything :whistle: , unfortunately although i don't like to be beaten i am afraid the time to ask for help is more of a necessity these day's.

My other issue is fund's needed which are a bit tight but not to the degree i can't cross your palm's with some fund's :wink: or maybe a trinket of two of something landrover would help.

dpaz

Post by dpaz » Thu May 25, 2017 9:44 pm

My '72 S3 Carawagon has a 2.5 N/A diesel . A good plodder. .Remembering back to 2009 when I removed the LDV 2.5 and fitted the 12J the front engine mounts had to be modified . The N/A has a horizontal injector pump which clears the battery tray. Plumbing for diesel is different needing a fuel filter and return pipe. A vital thing is to increase the diameter of the exhaust. The 2.25 exhaust chokes the engine. Mine has a modified Defender system. Mine had a petrol wiring loom which caused a few problems. There is also the stop solenoid to wire in and heater plugs. Nothing complicated taken one wire at a time. I found that when the starter motor engaged the stop solenoid on the fuel injector pump cut out so a byepass had to be fitted. Sorry if this is a bit garbled but so am I. Goodluck Dave
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Thu May 25, 2017 11:34 pm

G'day matey, thank's for your reply it is appreciated and given me a good guide, i will be inspecting the motor i came across but i am very slow at what i do :embarassed: .

In the past a 2-1/4 diesel has been fine but if the 2.5 is a bit better for pulling that's what i would like rather than struggle at times with the slightly smaller motor.

AlexB

Post by AlexB » Fri May 26, 2017 7:22 am

My tuppenceworth is that it would hardly be worth the effort to alter / modify stuff for the extra few cc

The sherpa will drop in (after cutting off a corner of the battery mount but the cam belts are getting harder to find nowadays

alex
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Fri May 26, 2017 12:55 pm

G'day Alex, thank's for the info it is appreciated, i do happen to have a couple of zuess timing gear set's and was going to have a bash at fitting one of those but the instruction's never came with the set.

I guess it is a case of whether my pour old brain box can coup with working thing's out these day's without my old mate confusion setting in :laugh: .

Of course i could ask if anyone has any instruction's that they could print off for me that could help so my mate confusion does nor rear his head and spoil my play time.

Catch you later, A hopeful R-Rose :tiphat: .
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Fri May 26, 2017 12:59 pm

romanyrose wrote:G'day Alex, thank's for the info it is appreciated, i do happen to have a couple of zuess timing gear set's and was going to have a bash at fitting one of those but the instruction's never came with the set.

I guess it is a case of whether my pour old brain box can coup with working thing's out these day's without my old mate confusion setting in :laugh: .

Of course i could ask if anyone has any instruction's that they could print off for me that could help so my mate confusion does nor rear his head and spoil my play time.

I guess if it came down to a standard motor i think i have one put aside :shrug: , i was just hoping for a few extra horses so i am not in everyone's way

Catch you later, A hopeful R-Rose :tiphat: .
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Sun May 28, 2017 11:09 pm

G'day Alex, i have read your reply a couple of times and thought well Alex has been playing with these motor's for a good while that i know of :whistle: , while living up in them there hill's doing what he does with them there truck's of his i am going to listen.

I have made the decision to save the 2.5 for another project and hopefully dig out a diesel i am sure i put safe, thinking out load you are correct about the 2-1/4 diesel having used and abused one for many year's that was my tow vehicle and has been rebuilt with the above gear's.

Hopefully tomorrow i will start and feel a tad better if only to go and see if i can locate one of the diesel's i have in mind :laugh: .

Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat: