You saw it here first: My '68 2A Mini Camper for sale

overlander
Info: Carawagon Junkie

You saw it here first: My '68 2A Mini Camper for sale

Post by overlander » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:07 pm

I shall be sad to see this one go as it's a real blast to drive but I've had enough of Land Rovering now ('famous last words' do I hear you say?) Now really on song, with timing and carburation tuned to perfection, it develops as much bhp as a 200Tdi and would really suit a gas conversion.

I'm putting it on here before sticking it on 'classiccarsforsale.co.uk' in the next couple of days:

'This Land Rover is the ultimate –‘wolf in sheep’s clothing’ It is a 1968, lights in the grille, SWB soft top Land Rover. The UK registration number is KFC…. so the Land Rover is nicknamed ‘the Colonel’ (from Kentucky Fried Chicken obviously…) The engine is the original ACR ‘Power Plus’ 114 bhp 2.25 petrol, test bed engine developed by the company so is very fast from 0-60mph and will go ‘off the clock’ very quickly. This is the Land Rover that was stripped and rebuilt for the 2009 LRO Billing Show by Jerry Thurston and his team. Between July 2009 and June 2012, the following new and refurbished parts have been fitted:

New Richards Galvanized Chassis
New Autosparks Wiring Loom
New Automec Brake and Fuel Lines
New Goodrich Brake Hoses
New Master Cylinder
New Brake Shoes and Wheel Cylinders
New Heavy Duty Clutch and Plate
New low energy consumption, high power, geared Powerlite Starter Motor
New Prop-shafts, front and rear
New Petrol Tank.
New Canvas Hood and Sticks
New Door Tops
New Door Bottoms (unpainted, bare aluminium, not fitted but incl. in sale if required)
New Hinge-Pins all round
New De-Luxe Seats and Cubby Box
New Door Trim with Pockets
New Static Seat Belts
New sound deadening Gearbox Tunnel Cover
New Halogen Headlights
New Sparto Lenses for side lights and Lucas Lenses for stop/tail
New Chrome Wiper Arms and Blades
New ‘correct’ Door Seals all round
New lockable under-seat Toolbox and another under the Cubby Box
New Parabolic Springs and Shockers
New Drop Plate, Trailer Socket and Tow-ball
New Tailgate with Chains and Sleeves.
New Front Bumper (Pattern)
Re-conditioned Dynamo
Fairey Overdrive (checked and runs quietly)
Original MAP free-wheeling hubs
Original Smiths round heater with variable speed rheostat switch, complete with sliding doors and bakelite knobs
Refurbished Bulkhead with original ribbed foot-wells
Tuned ACR Engine with high compression, ported, unleaded cylinder head, lightened flywheel, semi downdraught SU carburretor, K&N filter, stainless steel 4 branch manifold and exhaust, finned sump etc developing 114bhp
Original Gearbox (no syncro between 1st and 2nd) checked, quiet, does not jump out of gear.
Front and rear axles, gearbox, transfer box, steering box, steering idler, freewheeling hubs, swivels, distributor and fuel pump, all checked and fitted new seals etc as required.
Steering checked and A1, no free play, light and does not wander
Heavy Duty Carpet in cab and tub
Axle and Overdrive breathers
Fly-screens on front vents, working cigarette lighter, internal sun visors.
2 external mirrors
Four 7.50x16 Michelin XZYs and two spares, on LWB rims - not new but with 6mm tread on each.
Fitted LWB Speedo head to give correct speed on above tyres.
MOT till end August 2012, 12 months on purchase can be arranged.
Tax exempt
Classic ‘agreed value’ Comprehensive Insurance including European Travel and Breakdown Cover in UK and Europe for around £100.

This Land Rover drives like a 45 year old vehicle, not a modern car but goes like a rocket and has superb form and function with no bling. It has NOT been re-painted and has a 45year old ‘patina’ finish in DBG (and other shades of green!) which money cannot buy.
However as there is no rust anywhere and all the panels are straight, it would not be a difficult job to repaint it, if preferred. The rear of the tub is boarded out for security when the hood is fitted and part of this slides forward onto the front bulkhead/ dashboard to form a bed-board for one. With a thermarest and a decent sleeping bag, a comfortable night is assured. The middle seat, which was replaced by the cubby box, is now in the rear of the tub and is useful when cooking has to be done inside the vehicle during bad weather.

The vehicle comes with the V5 vehicle ownership document, starting handle, wheel brace, bottle jack and handle, a list of all items renewed or refurbished, a DVD with over a hundred photos of the rebuild and copies of the articles from LROI magazine which also feature the rebuild. Also included are a Parts Manual, Workshop Manuals and Owner’s Instruction Manual.

An un-restored hardtop is available with windows and a lockable cat-flap.

The present owner has been Land Rover-ing for over forty years and has reluctantly decided to call it a day.

The vehicle can be viewed in Leeds, West Yorkshire.

Haggling starts at £5650

John Horne
Email: overlander5@yahoo.co.uk'
RMS

Re: You saw it here first: My '68 2A Mini Camper for sale

Post by RMS » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:31 am

I'll be sorry to see this go as well John, if only because it was possibly your 'last foot' in the Land Rover camp (possibly) :wink:

Good luck with the sale, anyway.

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
overlander

Post by overlander » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:19 am

Just to complete the picture, here are a couple of before and after shots:

Putting your money in a classic Land Rover will almost certainly give you a better return than putting it into any current savings scheme or ISA !

cheers

John H
overlander

Post by overlander » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:26 am

Sold to that nice young couple from York who hopefully will be shortly joining the hardcore campers among us.

So now I've got my life back but I've suddenly realised that I this means I will be obliged to tackle the garden and all those other jobs around the house that I've been unable to fit in over the years :aaagh: .

Better start scanning the classifieds :wink: .

cheers

John H
RMS

Post by RMS » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:31 am

Hey John,

I did hear of a 2CV which might suit you :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Cheers,
Robin.
(Robin on S2C forum)
dudley

Post by dudley » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:33 pm

hi john

there is an 88" seale on ebay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i wouldn't want to see you domesticated

regards

phillip
1971 2a 109 diesel station wagon

1971 2a 109 petrol carawagon

And others
RMS

Post by RMS » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:54 pm

Hi Philip,

I've contacted the guy as he's advertising it as a Carawagon, which it isn't :thud:

Searle were Land Rover dealers as well as convertors, and what he's selling is 'Supplied by Searle' not 'Converted by Searle' :stars:

Patrick's SWB Station Wagon has the same badges - they might have added extra trim, such as door cards etc. but it's not a Carawagon :tiphat:

I'm also confused by his statement "It is believed to be the earliest 88" in existence" :shrug:

Cheers,
Robin.

PS. Link if anyone wants to look is HERE
(Robin on S2C forum)
Calum

Post by Calum » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:57 pm

RMS wrote:Searle were Land Rover dealers as well as convertors, and what he's selling is 'Supplied by Searle' not 'Converted by Searle'
The pic on the auction clearly shows the exterior badge to say "conversion by" just as mine does on my Carawagon with the similar "supplied by" badge on the seatbox inside. Quite what had to be done for it to be considered a conversion, I don't know. Possibly standard fit to anything that passed through their workshops?